cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping SA5304/256 in place of SA641 Controller

Patrick Matthews_2
Occasional Advisor

Swapping SA5304/256 in place of SA641 Controller

I have a ML530 G2 server that I need to swap a 641 RAID controller out and replace it with SA5304/256. I have both controllers in the box now, Windows can see and access both of them. Now then, is this as simple as shutting down the server, moving the scsi cable from the 641 over to the 5304, removing the 641 from the server, restarting the server, and going into the BIOS and switching the boot controller from the 641 to the 5304?
Of course I don't lokk busy, I did it right the first time
4 REPLIES
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Re: Swapping SA5304/256 in place of SA641 Controller

Theoretically, there is no problems to do it. All RAID information stored on disks. How many disk drives, and what structure of logical drives now used (narray-LD-RAID lvl)?
Patrick Matthews_2
Occasional Advisor

It has 5 drives in one array, The array is split into 2 partitions (C:\ & D:\. Nothing fancy, a boot partition and data partition

RAID config on HP Hardware is actually held on the disks and the controller. If the controller goes pop you can easliy replace and re-write the disk info back to it. Vice versa with the disk too (but if a disk goes pop you replace it anyway to rebuild that array....! go figure!)

Generally speaking all array controller are swapable, but i seem to remember something from my original CPQ Cert course that said dont downgrade as you may have extra functionalty enabled (offered, in this case, by the 641) that the earlier 5304 won't/can't support (ADG for example.....?)

Also need to be careful when going beween revision of SA's that your OS has the drivers for the newer/older SA installed. In your case yor OS can see both of them and would probably be OK.

I would risk swapping them and seeing how it goes....

make sure you have a full backup before starting though ;)
Patrick Matthews_2
Occasional Advisor

All went well, thanks for all your input. I needed that vote of confidence. Thank You!