cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swapping Set of Drives

Peter I
Occasional Visitor

Swapping Set of Drives

We have a DL380 with 4 SCSI drives installed. The 380's are using the 5i RAID controller and we just took the default single RAID 5 container. I imaged the current load, shut down the server and installed 4 brand new drives and took the default single RAID 5 container. Using a boot floppy, the system saw the drive just fine as it reimaged with no errors. Upon restarting, it gets to attempting to boot from C: and just sat there blinking. I have several boot programs and was able to tell that all the info was present where it was supposed to be, it just can't seem to boot. I reloaded basic OS from a Win2K cdrom, just to get to the point of reimaging. After reloading with basic OS and successful booting, I reimaged and every thing was fine. I then replaced the original hard drives and now I have the same problem, it just sits there blinking at the attemping to boot from drive C:. What am I missing, doesn't anyone else keep a different load on a set of hard drives and can swap from one set to another? Thanks!
2 REPLIES
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Re: Swapping Set of Drives

Hi Peter!
What imaging software you currently use? You CAN'T swap drives between sets, because the configuration of RAID stored on disks, you can get non-fuctional server.
Peter I
Occasional Visitor

Re: Swapping Set of Drives

We are using both ghost and drive image as the need dictates. The image we tranfered over to the new drives is an exact copy of the old drives, so the configuration of the RAID set, which is exactly the same as the old drives (4 drives in default RAID 5 container) is there as well. I have done this exact same thing with an IBM server and not sure why it is not working on the DL 380.