ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748128 Members
3369 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Swapping disks from DL380 to DL380G3, any problems?

BuBBBuB
Occasional Advisor

Swapping disks from DL380 to DL380G3, any problems?

Hello,

Currently we are using a DL380 (the first generation) with windows 2003 server installed. the integrated smart array controller is used with a RAID 1 configuration.

Now the very simple question. Is it simple possible to take out the 2 disks, and put them in the G3 system?

My concern is the difference in Array controllers, the G3 use a SMART Array 5i controller the old DL380 uses a integrated smart array (firmware 1.42)

It would simply save a lot of time to migrate one on one, instead of installing everything from scratch again. Hope anyone can answer this. thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Hello Boudie,

Afaik,it should work.
Incase of any issues,try installing the device driver for the 5i smart array controller.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24794.html

SRH
BuBBBuB
Occasional Advisor

Hello SRH,

I think installing the driver for the 5i array controller is the main issue, because, when would i be able to do this if I can't get the system up and running if the current drivers on the Disks doesn't support the 5i controller? Or do you mean installing the new drivers while the old system is still running? (before the disk swap) Maybe i am overlooking something though. If you have more information that would be great.
sandeep_raman
Honored Contributor

Yeah something on those lines.
First test the disks,if it does'nt work, then.

SRH
Andreas Hultman

Migrating from G2 to G3 or G4 is easier, then You just have to install the latest PSP, possibly load a registryfile (posted earlier somewhere here..) and move the disks.

I moved the disks from a G1 to G4, couldn't get the server to boot in any way, performed a windows 2003 repair, then reapplied the latest PSP, worked for me.
All our installed applications with services and so on looked just the same way as before the repair. Could be wise to first pull one disk and replace so You can go back in case something goes wrong.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

You NEED to tell the existing system about the 5i controller for this to work.

You would load the 5i registry key and load up the latest Smart Array driver, then swap the drives.

The file is posted here in the forums and I do nto have it handy. If I can find the link, I will report it.

You would perform these taks while the system is still running on the g1. When you bring the system up on the g3, you will need to have handy a PSP cd or a local copy.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

" http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1031643 "
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
BuBBBuB
Occasional Advisor

Hello Steven,

Thank you for your reply. I tried it the way you suggested but after swapping the disks i keep getting a blue screen while the system is booting and then it restarts. It goes too fast for me to see what the error is indicating.

I was however able to press F8 to have a look into ROM based array configuration and it does show the correct partitions in there. (i am using 2 test servers first where i can try these things)

Tomorrow i will try this again and will pop in the windows 2003 CD and try to get into the Repair or Recovery mode, maybe i can fix something there, Fixmbr or something like that.

Thanks for your help so far, its well appreciated.

Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

I do not think yo uwant to do a fixmbr, even if it is possible.

Did you load the latest driver before moving the disks?

Did you load the right registry file before moving the drives? (Should be the 5i.reg file)

I have never done this on a DL380 to 380G3 so not sure if it works or not, but the cocept should be the same.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
BuBBBuB
Occasional Advisor

Yes i loaded the correct reg key, the 5i. After that i started the support pack where it installs the latest drivers. Not specifically the RAID controller drivers i figured that those would be installed too once i start the Support Pack. I am thinking that maybe i should have rebooted after adding the reg key. Another thing to try maybe?

I'll test some more tomorrow, will post an update here afterwards. Thanks again.