1753767 Members
5511 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Swapping hot spare Drive

Jason Vincent_1

Swapping hot spare Drive

Hi,

I'm running a DL580 G2, with 3 disks in a Raid5 config with a hot spare. Recently one of the disks in the array failed and the hot spare kicked in and rebuilt fine.

Now the time has come to replace the failed disk, however I'm not sure how to proceed with the ACU. Can I just hot swap the failed disk and re-assign the new disk to be the hot spare? If so, I don't see anywhere within the Array Config Utility to do so (I haven't rebooted the server with the SmartStart CD yet)

Or when I replace the disk, does the array go back to its previous state, with the new disk forming part of the array and the hot spare just going back to its previous role....?

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Jefferson Humber
Honored Contributor

Jason,

In my experience with SmartArray controllers, the array will go back to it's previous state. i.e new disk will form part of the array once data has been copied from the once hot spare.

Jeff
I like a clean bowl & Never go with the zero
Jason Vincent_1

Thanks Jeff,

I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Jason Vincent_1

Replaced Drive - Array went back to it's previous state with the hot spare going back to it's previous role