1748211 Members
4836 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Swapping out dead Non Hot Swap drive ML 350 G5

Z3roCool
Occasional Contributor

Swapping out dead Non Hot Swap drive ML 350 G5

Hello, I have an ML350 G5 server with 2 RAID 5 arrays. One of the drives shows it needs swapping out. We have ordered the replacement part which shows as Non Hot-swap. I have always had Hot Swap drives with servers and need to query the correct prcedure in replacing this drive. Is it just a matter of turning server off, replace drive, boot, check drive is rebuilsing in HP Array Manager? I know its a bit of a n00b question but I have never come across a non Hot-swap before :/

Smart Array E200i

Many thanks for any input.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Turn off the server and add a spare drive. Let it fail over. Backup. Replace the bad drive and make that a spare. You will need to shut down the server to replace a non-hot swap drive. Do you have a battery cache on the controller? Make sure it clears the cache.

HP will have you install the latest firmware on the drive first to see if its a false reading. You might want to upgrade the server first to the latest firmware. Backup a few times fully. Never can have too many backups.
Z3roCool
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for reply. Will the spare drive fail over without any input after boot or does it need assigning to the array as a hot spare?

Not sure about the cache?

I have just noticed though that the Accelerator on the controller has also failed!! Will this have any effect on the rebuild etc?

Sorry for all the questions, is it possible to just replace the drive, when off, and let it build rather than do the spare build you mentioned? What is the advantage of doing it that way?

Thanks...
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Assign it as a spare in the ACU or RAID POST setup.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Did you call HP about the accelerator failure? I wonder if you are having controller issues that are reporting the drives as failed. Did you replace the accererlator yet? Backup fully your server nightly. Did you do a firmware upgrade on everything?
gregersenj
Honored Contributor

The procedure is pretty much like with the hot swap drives.

1. Indentify the bad drive. If possible find the serial no.
2. Power down server.
3. Replace the drive.
4. Power on.

It will start reconstruct automatically.

If the drive is degraded, still oprational. Do take the time to check the other drives before replacement. Use the System Management Homepage.
Select each drive and check the error statistics. Especilly look for hard read errors.
If theres no problem, its safe to go.

BR
/jag

Accept or Kudo