1753770 Members
4823 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

System Dead

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

System Dead

The system died. Supposed it was a powersupply. Replaced power supply and it did not solve the problem. Employed a Compaq service person from a company on your Web site. He suspects either system board or backplane board

Our system is not in warranty and we would like to try to salvage the data from the TBU (GB DLT 15/30). Can I install this TBU in another system that is not a Compaq?

Any ideas on what has failed in this unit? There is no power and no lights.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am also currently waiting for a local Compaq Service center to call.

What are we looking at in cost to attempt a repair?

Thank you in advance.
1 REPLY 1
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: System Dead

Jenifern,
Check ALL the connection on the mini-backplane (or called the power backplane) board. There is a large balck plug with about 12 of 16 wires installed tha may come loose and provide this indication. Make sure that the memory, processor and PPM (processor Power Module) is seated properly. Unfortunately I verified that your warranty ran out in January of this year
The tape backup unit should not have a major problem in another system. Take the SCSI cable with it so that active termination will be provided. It is probably set at SCSI ID 6
Mark