1748266 Members
3323 Online
108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System Won't recognize DLT15/30 Tape Drive

Dpuglas Lathrop
Occasional Contributor

System Won't recognize DLT15/30 Tape Drive

Hello all. I need help understanding why my system won;t recognize my tape drive. The greeen OK to opertate lght is on, all the left side lights are flashing, The system can't see the device, I've checked all connections inside the server (thanks Frank Kaufman for helping me get it back online). It is connected to the "B" or "1" SCSI connector on the system board, where as the HD is connected to "A" or "0". Not sure if that has anything to do with it or not. Have checked the "Smartstart utility and it still can't see it either. Help! Thanks all!
4 REPLIES 4
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Re: System Won't recognize DLT15/30 Tape Drive

What scsi ID is the drive set to? Was this drive operating normally in this machine previously? If the scsi id is set to something not being used, then this is most likely either a power problem or a drive problem.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Dpuglas Lathrop
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the response. It's on a sepreate SCSI Channel all alone. Yes it did work int his machine at one time, though I can't tell you what has happened to it since then. Could you be more specific about what you mean by power problem or whether such a problem with a drive is easy to fix?

Thanks.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Which scsi ID is it using? It can't be at scsi ID 7.

If it's not seen during post or in the system configuration utility then the drive is either not getting power (reseat the power connector to the drive - make sure it's getting power) or the drive is defective (there isn't much that can be done to a drive to repair it).
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Dpuglas Lathrop
Occasional Contributor

It will load a tape. WOuld it still do that with a power problem? It's not on SCSI #7. It is alone on the "B" channel. And the cable has a terminator on it. Does that matter?