108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

System management homepage on OpenSUSE?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Venefyxatu

System management homepage on OpenSUSE?

Hi,

When trying to install the System Management Homepage rpm on OpenSUSE 10.2, I get the following error :

This Linux distribution is not supported.
error: %pre(hpsmh-2.1.10-186.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 255
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping hpsmh-2.1.10-186

Is it possible to install the package in some way, regardless of this error?

Regards,

erik
7 REPLIES 7
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: System management homepage on OpenSUSE?

It seems like you are trying to install x86_64 RPM. Which model server is this?

Officially OpenSUSE isn't supported, however SLES is. It should work on any Linux, only thing is, is it the correct file for your (OS/CPU) architecture?

If it's correct, you could try the --force switch for the command. Let's know how it goes.
Venefyxatu

Thanks for the quick reply!

It's a ProLiant ML350 G5 server, running OpenSuSe 10.2 (x86-64).

The package I'm using is for SLES 10 (AMD64/EM64T)

Just to make sure, I've tried the x86 package as well (since it's possible to install 32-bit software on a 64-bit OS, just not the other way 'round). No dice, either.

Using --force gives the same result :

VMSERVER01:~/Desktop # rpm -ivh --force hpsmh-2.1.10-186.linux.x86_64.rpm
Preparing... ########################################### [100%]
This Linux distribution is not supported.
error: %pre(hpsmh-2.1.10-186.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 255
error: install: %pre scriptlet failed (2), skipping hpsmh-2.1.10-186
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

I know SLES 10 is based on openSUSE. However the RPM seems to specifically check the distribution name.

I am thinking of changing the distribution stamp, i.e. change something, somewhere, that makes openSUSE recognized as SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 10.

I am trying out stuff, 1. to see if it's possible, 2. if it is feasible to change this info on a productions system.

I'll need some more time to check.
Venefyxatu

The one thing I already tried is replacing /etc/SuSE-release with one from a SuSE Linux 9.3 system (from a downloaded RPM). This was either not enough, or also not a supported system :-)

The replacement file contained :

SuSE Linux 9.3 (x86-64)
VERSION = 9.3
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

I found some information here, not about changing the distribution stamp, but about rpm & its switches.

It seems like the installation is failing because of a pre installation script checking for the distribution version.

The --nopre or --noscripts option can be used to prevent the scripts from running.

A handy link for all possible switches to the rpm command:
http://linux.about.com/od/commands/l/blcmdl8_rpm.htm
Venefyxatu

The --nopre option ended up doing it!

Before installing the rpm, I had to manually create a group hpsmh , and a user hpsmh with this group. With this user/group in place installation proceeded without any errors whatsoever.

Perhaps I should've read the the manpages a little more thoroughly :-)

I don't know if this is the way it's meant to be, but when logging in to http://localhost:2381 I don't get any agents installed, no reports either, but I *can* play with the settings.
I assume this means installation was successful, but that I need to install some other modules manually. That's something to play with next week, though.

Thanks a lot for you help!
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

That's great to know!!

You will need the management agents from under the section "Software - System Management" for the "software and drivers"
download page for your server.

For e.g. NIC agents, VCA, System Health & Insight Management agents.

One thing I forgot to mention (which may not hold relevance now) is that although SLES & openSUSE are considered to be the same, there might be some difference(s) which MAY result in some output not matching our expectations. :-)