Re: TEMPORARILY CHANGE DL380 RAID CONTROLLER HARD DRIVES

SOLVED
Go to solution
MoHo
Occasional Contributor

TEMPORARILY CHANGE DL380 RAID CONTROLLER HARD DRIVES

Dear experts,

I have a question about replacing dl380 G8 ssd hard drives with RAID 5:

I want to remove all drives and keep somewhere safe for a few days. And, insert new drives and use the server somewhere temporarily with RAID level 5. After that, I want to remove the new drives and get back to the previous state with my old drives, and run the server like before.

BUt, I am not sure if RAID controller (P420i-1GB) will affect my own drives after removing those temporary new drives.

How can I make sure that my old drives will be uneffected after inserting again. I ask it because I know RAID has a memory of temporary drives.

Thank you very much for your helps.

2 REPLIES 2
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

@MoHo wrote:

Dear experts,

I have a question about replacing dl380 G8 ssd hard drives with RAID 5:

I want to remove all drives and keep somewhere safe for a few days. And, insert new drives and use the server somewhere temporarily with RAID level 5. After that, I want to remove the new drives and get back to the previous state with my old drives, and run the server like before.

BUt, I am not sure if RAID controller (P420i-1GB) will affect my own drives after removing those temporary new drives.

How can I make sure that my old drives will be uneffected after inserting again. I ask it because I know RAID has a memory of temporary drives.

Thank you very much for your helps.

The RAID information is stored in the RIS area of each hard drive. If you properly shut down the system, remove the current drive set and repalce with new drives, you will be fine.  Once done with the temporary server duties, shutdown, remove temp drives and replace with your original set and you should be good to go.  It is best to put the drives back in the same drive bays, but the new Smart Arrays can figure out when drive bays have been swapped. Was a normal routine with my lab systems

My standard discalimer for anyone folling with RAID drives is to make sure you have a good data backup just in case

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
MoHo
Occasional Contributor

Thank a lot for your help Jimmy.