HPE Community read-only access December 15, 2018
This is a maintenance upgrade. You will be able to read articles and posts, but not post or reply.
Hours:
Dec 15, 4:00 am to 10:00 am UTC
Dec 14, 10:00 pm CST to Dec 15, 4:00 am CST
Dec 14, 8:00 pm PST to Dec 15, 2:00 am PST
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tape Drive SCSI error pls help

Ralph Francis
Occasional Advisor

Tape Drive SCSI error pls help

Hi,

I had posted this message before though I will re-post as i am still experiencing this problem very often now!

I am using a DAT tape drive connected to a Adaptec SCSI controller using the ad160 driver on SCO Openserver 5.0.4. In the last two weeks I have got these error messages logged twice in the /usr/adm/messages log file..

WARNING: ad160: adapter 0 error: (ha=0 bus=0 id=6 lun=0)
ad160: [41206022] Device protocol error

ad160: [41206020] Device not responding or not connected

This has led to my tape drive to fail, I had a look around but could not figure out if this messages indicates my Tape drive is faulty? or if the tape in the drive is currupt? or the driver is having some issues? or faulty scsi controller?
The last time this happened I replaced the tape and it is working fine.. Any tips on how to troubleshoot if there is an issue with tape drive. tape, scsi controller or driver.

Ralph
1 REPLY
Sean Waite
Frequent Advisor

Re: Tape Drive SCSI error pls help

Have you swapped any components to see if there is a change?

I just experienced this myself with some older Exabyte 8mm drives. 2 of the 3 drives reported this error. I pulled them out as they were not essential and just added another DLT. Now the 4 DLTs work just fine on that adapter etc.

The drives themselves when connected to another computer received the same error, so I could only assume it was the drive itself of course.

Now I assume you have this installed on an on-line server, meaning you really can not play around too much with it. Can you install the tape drive in another computer and just run that drive alone with minimal hardware installed? Also, if you have another disk drive install that in the meantime on the same bus/id and try some heavy usage.

Also keep in mind there could be a small enough buildup of static as to disrupt connection. If the location is very dry with high static electricty as I have in my storage room you will find components do this from time to time (I have some older units running there that cause insignifant problems such as this). One currently kept on losing connection to a IDE drive. The pc is now in another location and running just fine