5996 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Team 2 NICs?

Chris - LFDCS
Advisor

Team 2 NICs?

Hi all,

I have a brand new DL160 G6. I have a great many questions and will be starting a great many threads, but I wanted to start with this one... I'm very new to all this so please bear with my questions if they seem silly...

It has 2 Gigabit NICs, both HP NC362i adapters.

Can these 2 NICs be teamed for use as a single 2Gbps connection?

If so, can someone please tell me how to do it?

And... Does this make sense to do? My last company did this, and it seems to make sense to me...

At the moment, the server is getting DHCP addresses to both NICs. I want to "team" them and assign static IP info.

So in a nutshell, CAN they be teamed, should they be teamed, and how do I do it if so?

THANKS!

Chris
15 REPLIES 15
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

They probably can be teamed, an OS you are using on this server would be useful to know for a definite answer on this, as well as "How do I do it?" question. If a server has multiple NICs connected to the same "network segment", there are few reasons, if any, not to team them.
Chris - LFDCS
Advisor

Hi and thanks for your reply! I am using Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard.

Do you know how to do this? Is it done through a software package? The driver(s)? I installed the OS using the "Easy Setup CD v 2.00(b).

Thanks!

Chris
ChristianH_1
Occasional Advisor

If you installed the Server using the SmartStart CD , then you should have all that you need to install on your server.

Then there should be a program that you can find in the tray called "HP Network Configuration Utility"

If it not there then it might be in your control panel.

That should help you setup the teaming , but keep in mind that your switch also need to support this.

Best Regards Christian
Modris Bremze
Esteemed Contributor

Requirement for special switch support is dependent upon teaming/bonding mode - not all modes require special switch support, however it should be checked before deployment.
Chris - LFDCS
Advisor

The switch is a 48-port Cisco 2960 Gigabit... For nearly $7,000, it better support anything I wanna do to it... LOL!

I'm checking on all the suggestions and will report back. Thanks so far, fellas!!!

Chris
ChristianH_1
Occasional Advisor

That switch supports it , what you can do is to creat a port channel on the Cisco Switch.

And then put both the interfaces on the switch into that PO.

If you need any help with that let me know and i can give you the config.

And then you set the Team Type to "802.3ad Dynamic with fault Tolerance".

And then it should work , you might have to use "Destination IP Address" on Transmit Load Balancing Method.
Chris - LFDCS
Advisor

Hi Christian!

Wow, that is soooo over my head at the moment. So, you're saying that simply teaming the NICs won't be enough?

I will have to do what you suggest on the switch?

If so, please elaborate. What is the config? I can get to the web-based admin panel of the switch, so can I do what you suggest from there? Or do I need to get directly into the IOS and do it that way? I can do that, too.

Please bear in mind that I am certainly not a Cisco guru. I've played in 'em a bit, but am NOT an expert by any means...

Would I do the switch config THEN team the NICs? Or vice-versa? I'll wait before doing anything...

Thanks! You all have been most helpful.

Chris
Chris - LFDCS
Advisor

Oh, and by the way...

I do NOT seem to have this "HP Network Configuration Utility" you mentioned. And I did not install the OS using SmartStart, but rather the "Easy Setup CD Version 2.00(b).

I put the CD in and checked the contents... I don't see it in here, either...
Chris - LFDCS
Advisor

Nevermind about the me missing the "HP Network Configuration Utility". I ran the HPSUM from the Easy Setup CD and was able to download it from there.

Strange that it didn't install during the OS installation. But it's here now!