108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Teaming error message on boot

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor

Teaming error message on boot

System: DL380 (G1) with two Netelligent 10/100TX PCI at 100 MBit, teamed. Onboard NIC is disabled. OS is W2K server SP4, Supportpack is 6.40. On every boot, system log shows the same four error messages:

Event 338: "Problem: An attempt was made to add a team member to a team. The new team member failed attempts to determine its Link State and/or Link Speed. The attempt to join the team has been failed. ACTION: Disable and (re-)enable this team's Network Connection on 'Network (and Dial-up) Connections' Page."

And immediately afterwards:

Event 323: "A team member was NOT successfully added to the Team as configured. If at least one Team Member is configured in the Team, the Team will initialize (but with a lesser compliment of Team members). ACTION: Rerun the HP Network Teaming and Configuration Utility to reconfigure the Team and Team Members."

and these two messages are repeated some seconds later.

The server is working perfectly fine and the network team is OK (both configured NICs work, failover is working, too). So the messages seem to bemore or less only annoying, but since this is the ONLY machine with these errors, I suspect there to be a more fundamental problem hidden somewhere.

What I have done so far:

- dissolve team
- remove all cards from the configuration (device manager)
- reinstall Supportpack 6.40 with "overwrite same version" option on
- configure cards to 100 MBit/full again and disable onboard NIC
- rebuild network team

No success, same error messages. The "an attempt...failed" message tells me that the teaming software tried to add a card to the team - but WHICH one? The two cards I want are already there and working.
5 REPLIES 5
Baumgartl Alex
Frequent Advisor

Re: Teaming error message on boot

have you saved the NIC hardware in systempartition (F10)? W2K is a plug and play configuration system and needs the right port number for adresses. further, you must disable the onboard nic in system partition and in device manager from W2K. delete the network connection with this false adapter. then you can rebuild the teaming (I think :-)
another possibility: one or more nic`s are defect

Excuse they please my bad English :-)
Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, I will try out checking whether the system partition configuration is correct. I should have added that the system worked fine until updating to support pack 6.40 - but supportpack 6.40 works fine on the rest of our dl380 g1 with similar NIC configurations, so there has to be something wrong with this particular machine.
Lou Slack

I have this same problem with my ML370. Except when mine reboots, it places a red x on the top port of my dual network card and then disolves the team. Then I have to boot again to reset the team. I have spent approx 10 hours on the phone with compaq/hp with no resolution. My problems started when my team software changed from Compaq to HP with the recommended install of the support pack. Any resolution you may encounter would be greatly appreciated on my part. thanks
Lou Slack
Solution

Compaq/HP helped me almost resolve this problem by uninstalling just the NIC Team from the support pak and installing an older version of it. Hope this helps.
Jens Baumann_2
Frequent Advisor

Update: Supportpack 6.40 seems to be a real troublemaker. We have had various network problems after installing it (teaming, cards not being seen after the reboot, etc.). All could be fixed with an additional reboot or by dissolving/recreating the network team the only cosmetic problem we have left is the error message I posted above. Let's hope the next support pack is better (btw - we also found out that supportpack 6.40 has a few missing drivers, e.g. the drivers for the 3100es/3200 smart array is missing, as well as the 32bit scsi controller driver, specifically cp003193 and cp003195 have no equivalent in 6.40). Whoever did that support pack had a really bad day, it seems...