cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teaming software will not run

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Teaming software will not run

I have just set up a Windows 2000 Advanced server on a Proliant 8000 from a Microsoft Select CD that had SP1 integrated into the disk. No additional software has been installed except for the Compaq W2K support pack. The server has 2 NICs in it. One is a NC3123 and the other is a NC3131. When I double click on teaming in the tray or on the teaming icon in the control panel nothing comes up. The cpqteam.exe is running but I never get a window to configure teaming. Everything else on the server is working fine and all software and ROMPaqs are up to date. What could be the problem?
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Teaming software will not run

I am having a similar problem. I have set up a 6 server network, consisting of DL 380, 580 and 8500's. Each has (2) Compaq Gigabit NICs and (2) 10/100 ports. Some of these have the 10/100 set to use a single Dual-port NIC as FEC, the others use a single NIC and the Integrated NIC as failover. In all cases, the (2) Gigabit NICs are set for SmartSwitch failover.

I have been working on the install for the last 2 1/2 weeks, and inevitably, one or more of the servers' Gigabit team "freaks out" (techie term). When I try to ping its gigabit IP, it fails. When I go to that machine, CPQTEAM tray icon does not respond, and neither does "My Network Neighborhood" Properties. IPConfig shows that the 10/100 Team is alive and well (and pings in and out), but does not even show that the Gigabit team exists.

If I re-apply the SupportPaq (5.04a) the problem goes away...... for a while. I cannot seem to figure out what is making the Gigabit (and *ONLY* the Gigabit) team fail. Last night when I left, all was well. I came in this morning, and again, 3 of the 6 machines had lost their Gigabit team. TOTALLY UN-COOL!

If you find any solution, please let me know.

-Mark Brown
mbrown@relmicro.com
Reliance Microsystems Incorporated
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I am just finishing setting up a six server network, all Compaq Proliants (DL380, 580 & 8500) all with teamed Compaq Gigabit NICs and teamed Compaq 100MB NICs. All servers are running Windows 2000 Server & Advanced Server.

At various points throughout my install, I have had problems with teaming not responding. They have all reacted as you stated, but additionally, when I go to "My Network Places" properties, it and the Explorer process hang.

The one thing that I have found is that if I re-apply the Compaq SupportPaq, the drivers are typically re-installed and after a reboot, the teaming comes back up. I am still having trouble with one of these machines ("non-Primary" Domain Controller / Backup DNS server). Typically, what happens is that the NetLogon service hangs on startup. I believe that this is due to the Teaming not being initialized yet, but I have not figured out how to make the NetLogon service dependant on Teaming or to wait for teaming.

If you come across any other solutions, let me know.

-Mark Brown
mbrown@relmicro.com
Reliance Microsystems Incorporated
Internet, intranet, extranet, everynet.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

If you're still fighting this battle, email to support@compaq.com