cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Teaming

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Teaming

My organisation proudly own 2 Compaq Proliant PL 1600R 512 128 Euro servers. As IT Manager I would like to know more about teaming (using 2 NIC), what addtional hardware do I need and how to configure it in our servers. We currently have a "Compaq Netelligent 10/100 TX PCI controller" NIC in each server.

I would be most grateful to hear from you.
Many Thanks

Andrew Carpin
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Teaming

Andrew,
Although your question is a little generic, I will attempt to get you started with the subject.
NIC Teaming involves 2 or more Network Interface ports or cards, sharing some or all portions of network connectivity.
There are a number of varieties of NIC teaming.
ALB - Adaptive Load Balancing
NFT - Network Fault Tolerance
FEC- Cisco Fast Ether Channel
GEG - Cisco Gigabit Ether Channel
The last two options require specific Cisco Switch/Router equipment
The NICs must be on the same segment
Compaq Smart Start CD's have help files included with the Supplemental Support Files (SSD's) which address installing drivers. All drivers needed for Network Fault Tolerance are included with the Compaq Support Files.
If you have other specific question, please include the operating system you are running.
Thank you for your question.
Mark
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Andrew,
I also went to www.compaq.com and searched on NIC TEAMING. I found a document about Clustering that has significant amount of information concerning NIC Teaming. the URL is http://csa.compaq.com/CTJforms/CTJ_Article_98_Mar.doc
Thanks again

Mark
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Mark, that URL prompts me for a password for the CSA.
I own a Compaq Customer Community ID but won't do.
Thanks
Stefano