Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terminal Services Licensing

Highlighted
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Terminal Services Licensing

When I install Win2K server, join an NT 4.0 Domain, Terminal services licensing server fails to start. The error in Event log says that it failed to start because Terminal Services Licensing can only be installed on a domain controller or a server in a workgroup. The domain controller issue is true when joining a Win2K domain. But, for a Windows NT 4.0 domain, you can install Terminal Services Licensing on any Win2K server in an NT 4.0 domain. Any ideas?
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Terminal Services Licensing

Still don't know why it does this, but here is what I did to make it work. I installed an Intel Dual port Nic, installed Win2k manually with Smartstart. Terminal Services Licensing works just fine. I noticed that when I had the OS loaded using Smartstart and the onboard Gigabit nics, I could surf, ping other hosts, browse the network, but I could not logon to the domain because it says there was no domain available. Even though during the OS install the server was joined to the domain. I still don't know what the connection is, so anybody out there want to take a crack at it? Compaq?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Terminal Services Licensing

The previous reply should have said that I installed "without" using the Smartstart CD.