1753436 Members
4884 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Termination of SCSI Drives

H.Guenther
Occasional Contributor

Termination of SCSI Drives

I'm running a Proliant 1000R and I'm using the right 5 Slot HDD-Bay in the Duplex mode for operating 2 pairs in Slot 0, 1, , 3, 4 of SCSI drives (ID0 and ID1). Now the question, how is the bus termination philisophy here? Have I to do the termination at the last drive pair by a terminator (extern or drive intern, depends on the drive) or is this managed by the Duplex board itself? The Duplex Board PN is 142267-001.
Any help?
4 REPLIES 4
e4services
Honored Contributor

Re: Termination of SCSI Drives

The drive bay provides the termination. There is no need for an external or drive terminator.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Shaikh Imran
Honored Contributor

Hi,
There is no need of external termination as the Duplex board takes care of it.
Are you facing any SCSI sense problems ?

Regards,

I'll sleep when i am dead.
H.Guenther
Occasional Contributor

I have some trouble with the probably "wrong" termination I guess. I'm using the HDD Bay with the Duplex Board to run two pairs of HDD's for Video Editing System ///Fast Video Machine. When using the 146Z10 HDD pair as the last I always got access errors to the video clips. This drive has no internal terminator. But when shifting arround the HDD as the first and terminate now the last pair (previously the first pair) with it's internal terminator everything is working perfect.
Is a circiut diagram available to ccheck, how the termination is really done on that boards???
H.Guenther
Occasional Contributor

IIt seems to have some trouble with the "wrong" termination. I'm running the HDD Bay with the Duplex Board for the ///Fast Video-Machine.
I have changed a pair of HDD for higher capacity (Hitachi 146Z10 2 x 36GB) as the last one in the chain and got always access error on the video clips.
A swaped the new pair with the other one of pair and then everything was working perfect.
I have made no other settings at the new HDD's! The files on it also where unchanged!
The HDD pair that are running now as the last ones in the chain are jumoered as:
Termination Power ON
Terminator ENABLED
The new HDD's couldn't be jumpered with an internal terminator active, it is not available.
Is there a circuit diagram available for the HDD Bay and the Duplex Board that I can check personally how the termination is working on that boards???