cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible write performance on third party SSDs on P840 and P440 in Gen9

EsonG
Occasional Collector

Terrible write performance on third party SSDs on P840 and P440 in Gen9

There seems to be some kind of issue with the new range of Gen9-controllers and Intel SSDs. I have tried three different Intel SSDs, 520, 530 and S2500.

If I disable the cache I get about 20MB/S seq write and 200 IOPS with 4k Q32. It doesnt matter if I run 8 SSDs in RAID0, RAID1, RAID6 or if I run a single disk in RAID0.  I get the same terrible perfomance using SSD Smart Path as well.

Putting the controllers in HBA-mode and testing them one by one or in Storage Spaces for example they perform as they should. 

Spoke to HP but they werent much help since Im using non-HP SSDs. Havent had any issues before with for ex. P822 and Intel SSDs. 

Anyone else tried a setup with any of the above controllers and third party SSDs? Im running this on Server 2012 R2 on a DL380 Gen9 and have performed test with both the P440 and P840.

2 REPLIES

Re: Terrible write performance on third party SSDs on P840 and P440 in Gen9

Hi

3rd party hard drives do not have the same firmware as HP branded drives and hence they may function sub-optimally when connected to HP Smart Array controller(s). Try with HP branded drives supported on by the server and check for performance. If there are any issues, then this needs to takenup with HP Support. Hope this helps!!

Regards,

Vijayasarathy

I work for HP
To say thanks click the white "thumbs up" icon below!!!
JohnRB
Occasional Visitor

Re: Terrible write performance on third party SSDs on P840 and P440 in Gen9

Turn off HP Smart Path for the ssd array. After I did that I got 4 times the performance.