Simpler Navigation for Servers and Operating Systems
Completed: a much simpler Servers and Operating Systems section of the Community. We combined many of the older boards, so you won't have to click through so many levels to get at the information you need. Check the consolidated boards here as many sub-forums are now single boards.
ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Testing RAID 1 on ProLiant ML350e

Highlighted
JonathanAnon
Occasional Advisor

Testing RAID 1 on ProLiant ML350e

Hi Everybody, 

We're putting in our first ProLiant server on to a small site next week. The client wants to see a demonstration of how RAID 1 redundancy would work in the case of a hard disk failure. I was thinking of just pulling the disk out of the front drive bay as the server is running (to simulate a disk failure). Then when the client is satisfied with my visual demonstration, I would just put the drive back in to the drive bay and let it rejoin the RAID. 

Is there any reason why this would be a bad idea? I mean, is it okay just to pull the disk out and then put it back? 

thanks, 

J

P.S. This thread has been moved from Servers > General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES
LouisH
Valued Contributor

Re: Testing RAID 1 on ProLiant ML350e

Hi,

By your message, I'm guessing that the server is being moved to a new location.  After booting up, check the ACU or ADU to verify disks are ok and no errors. Then pull out a disk, verify server is still fully up without problems (for your customer's benifit), then re insert disk. disk will be rebuilt from scratch.

Regards,

Louis

JonathanAnon
Occasional Advisor

Re: Testing RAID 1 on ProLiant ML350e

Thanks Louis, 

that's what I was looking for.. :-)

regards,