5380 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion

That age old G7 Non-HP Hard Drive Fan Issue

cyberdocwi
Occasional Visitor

That age old G7 Non-HP Hard Drive Fan Issue

Hello,

I have seen many posts about the fans running jet speed if non-HP hard drives are installed within the server, in my case an HP DL360 Gen 7.  I am running CentOS / RedHat 7.x on this server.

I had blind luck in the past, and recently purchased 2 new Seagate 3TB drives, and stumbled into the fan issue.  It is disturbing that HP keeps this issue alive -- I understand why -- but these are older servers now, and great for a home lab testing environment.

I discovered that using hponcfg -r, I can reset the iLO 3 settings, and the fans spin down for a few minutes while this is going on.

I have an insane idea of crontabbing the hponcfg -r so it runs every three minutes, and keeps the fans down low.  But I have no idea if I would blow anything else up.

Curious on an expert opinion.

Thanks,

Christian

4 REPLIES 4
SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: That age old G7 Non-HP Hard Drive Fan Issue

Hello,

I hope you are doing well.
ILO is the only reporting tool not for any controller any hardware components.
HPE always recommends using only HPE hardware components in the HPE products ( server, storage, etc...)
For fan noise or running high speed so many reasons.
1. Bios should be updated with the latest.
2. All the firmware ( ILO & Smart Array (SA) firmware should be updated with the latest.
3. Use only HPE certify, Supported or tested components.
4. Remove Non-HPE hardware components from the server, if you are using. ( here you are using 2x Seagate 3TB)

3TB hard disk doesn’t support the DL360 Gen 7 server. Please follow the below documents for supporting parts.

HP ProLiant DL360 G7 Server - Option Parts

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c02549278#N10439

HP ProLiant DL360 G7 Server - Spare Parts

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c02493924

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   

Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

cyberdocwi
Occasional Visitor

Hello SanjeevGoyal ,

Thank you for the note, and the standard "use HP parts to have a pure HP experience" answer. 

Unfortunately, your response does not answer my question -- my home lab budget cannot afford HP pricing.  I am not the only person attempting to use 3rd party hardware within my server, and HP arrogance is either going to drive up my power (and noise), or force me to hardware hack the server with resisters to slow the fans down. This policy directly violates HP's green initiative which may be found https://www.hpe.com/us/en/living-progress.html that discusses reducing the carbon footprint. 

I think this boils down to motivating HP to either change the firmware, or perhaps we change where we shop for servers.

Christian

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Hello,

HPE always recommend use HPE parts.

I would suggest you log a support ticket with the HPE support team for more clarification.

Regards,  

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

yveZ
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

I am also having FAN going on high speed issues while using non-HP hard drives. Having said that, we understand the HP servers work optimal with HP parts, but I would suggest that having other perfectly good working HD's to install in a server, should not cause any issues that are not needed.

Having said that, I have a ML350p with 6 x Toshiba drives installed in the HP provided HD cage, and the fans go full speed. Harddisks have been tested and are 100% fine. All firmwares (bios, ilo and controller card) have been updated. The moment I remove the P410 card (or remove the non-HP HD's)  the fans stay nice and quiet.

There has to be a way to tell the server that the HD's, even being non-HP, are good and do not require the fan behavior. Do you know of such a setting or workaround we can apply?

Thanks in advance!
Yves