Did you mean: 

The complete upgrade proceeding

SOLVED
Go to solution
Prolianter
Occasional Advisor

The complete upgrade proceeding

Hi friends,

I can't find anywhere a good flow chart with all the steps to upgrade completely a Proliant DL370 G6. Let me try it:

Basic: Burn the last SmartStart [8.60 – October 5, 2010] & SmartUpdateFirmware [9.20b – December 3, 2010] CDs to USB with HP USB utility

My first question is: Is there anything on the Internet that is not on the Firmware offline update? If this is true, is all achievable through online mode or must I download by hand all the updates?

For example: having system offline updated, do i need take care of those critical components?

SmartArray

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=es&cc=es&prodNameId=1157689&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157687&swLang=35&taskId=135&swEnvOID=54

...they are previous to the release date of my Firmware CD.

Rompaq update recomended for supporting CentOs
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-1ef39a45ccf045d380b3df2b41&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=1157687

...another update previous to the release date of my Firmware CD.

Is this ROmpaq included in firmware update in another format? Why can't I include it in my Firmware CD as it is provided? Isn't there an smart component option for my usb?

Summing up, I'm coming crazy between formats, updates, components, different ROMs, partial updates, revisions, online and offline modes....

Is there any simple centralized way of taking for sure I am completely updated on all the hardware parts? Maybe it's me and I'm wrong but I hope Firmware CD updated all completely until the date of its release date, and online mode could do the rest. But I can't ensure this is true through my research.

Thank you friends!!
6 REPLIES
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: The complete upgrade proceeding

>> My first question is: Is there anything on the Internet that is not on the Firmware offline update? If this is true, is all achievable through online mode or must I download by hand all the updates?

Some firmware versions are released between the CD releases. It will be on the next CD, but meanwhile you can download it and add it to the CD contents on your USB drive.

Often seen with iLO firmware.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Prolianter
Occasional Advisor

Thank you!

So regarding that answer, I suppose the answer is "yes there are interim components but they are not available on smart update nline and must be downloaded one by one (smart components)".

Does this mean that if last firmware cd is released tomorrow i don't need to download NOTHING more because I can assure it includes all the last versions, critical updates, rompaqs, individual smart components, and so on?

Furthermore, for the Rompaqs, like the one on the second link, you cannot put it as the smart components, you must create a dedicated usb stick isn't?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

>> Does this mean that if last firmware cd is released tomorrow i don't need to download NOTHING more because I can assure it includes all the last versions, critical updates, rompaqs, individual smart components, and so on?

Yes, more or less, but a day later the whole story starts from the beginning ... there will be newer versions (maybe critical) released after the DVD production was finished.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Prolianter
Occasional Advisor

Then I don't know why they don't advice which updates are contemplated actually on the last firmware cd and why they don't remove the alert update pages once the DVD is released, referencing to it.

So, to finish this thread, if I installed SmartUpdateFirmware [9.20b â December 3, 2010] on a Proliant DL370 G6, do I need to update anything more (since for example, both links I put above were released sooner)?
Prolianter
Occasional Advisor

The fact is I'm getting red screen of death "illegal code" and a disk has just failed three days after the machine was set up. I'm convinced it has something to do with the firmware (although I was updated), since the first issue is something some users associate to a BIOS firmware problem, and the second one matches clearly the failure described on the first link I published (SmartArrray critical update)
Prolianter
Occasional Advisor

Perhaps it is because I gave too many points, but I wasn't considering the topic totally resolved and I was expecting more professional opinions on that :)