ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The power redundancy of the DL580G5 servers...

jweppinette
Occasional Visitor

The power redundancy of the DL580G5 servers...

Does anyone know how the four power supplies of the DL580G5 are redundant? If all four power supplies are installed, can *ANY* two power supplies be unplugged without bringing the server down? I have looked in many documents and can't find this information. Thanks.
6 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: The power redundancy of the DL580G5 servers...

hi

yes 4 Power supply(PS) is for redundancy - 2 power supplies is normal no redundancy.

so with 4 PS is one or 2 of them fail server will continue up and running but if the server has just 2 PS and one dies ... server will power off.

"Hot Plug Redundant Power Supplies (two standard with 2P Models, requires four for redundancy).

/////////

NOTE: Two Hot Plug Power Supplies ships standard with 2P Base Models (optional Redundant Hot Plug Power Supply Option Kit). Four Hot Plug Power Supplies ship standard with 4P High Performance Models. Configurations with 3 or 4 processors that will use lowline (110V) input power require four Hot Plug Power Supplies.
"

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12770_na/12770_na.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
jweppinette
Occasional Visitor

To Karlo:

I understood from the docs I found that if the two primary PS failed, then the two optional PS would take over. But what I am really wanting to see in the documentation is if *ANY* one of the primary PS failed while *ANY* of the optional PS failed, would the server remain up.

If the primary PS act as one logical PS, and the two optional as one logical PS, then the above senario would bring the server down. But if all four PS are independent, then the server would remain up.

The Quick Specs, User Guide and Maint&Service Guide were not clear on how the redundancy worked.

I hope this more fully explains the answer I'm looking for. Thanks for your answer.
jweppinette
Occasional Visitor

I meant to say, "while *ANY* ONE of the optional PS failed, would the server remain up."
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Hi

well Dl580 G5 guide does not explain redundancy but

"IMPORTANT: If there are less than two power supplies installed, power down the server before removing the power supply."

that makes me think server will die if one Power supply dies in case server had only 2 Power supplies.

Regards
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

reading your last POST

"I meant to say, "while *ANY* ONE of the optional PS failed, would the server remain up."

Of course if the server has the optional Power supplies (2) 1 or both can fail and the server will continue working with the other 2.

I hope I understood

Regards
jweppinette
Occasional Visitor

Thanks Karlo for patiently answering.

I'm going to assume the primaries are acting as one logical PS and the optionals are acting as one logical power supply.

Assuming that, I will advise our techs that it is absolutely necessary to connect *both* primaries to one power source and *both* optionals to another power source for true redundancy. And never mix them up.

Thanks again for your answers. It's tough when HP's documentation is lacking clarity on certain features.