ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748025 Members
4019 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: The support CD with this product (ML110)

happyhacker
Advisor

The support CD with this product (ML110)

When I got the server there was a note with it that it did not support installation of SBS 2008. OK. But in fact the CD contains such software as the Manager, etc which I never used because I thought that the CD was effectively useless. Can someone confirm that the management s/w for this server IS in fact on the CD and I should install it under Windows and if so should I really download the latest s/w from HP support as the CD stuff is likely to be  out of date now?

Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
Dave73
Regular Advisor

I am not sure of the manager you are referring too but, its always a good idea to keep drivers and firmware up todate. HP SPP - support pack for proliant - is the software to use.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/service_packs/en/index.html

happyhacker
Advisor

Does this also contain the Array Manager(s), i.e. all I need to manage the server?

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Historically the ML110 has not been supported by the normal HP cds/tools. Perhaps this has changed with whatever model/generation of it you have?

Could you tell us which CD you are talking about (perhaps it has a name printed on it) and which model of the ML110 you have.

Any software from HP you want to install for the ML110 is better off getting from HP's download page:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=5075943

As for array manager - which array controller do you have installed?
happyhacker
Advisor

OK, thanks, bear with me I've got it slightly wrong. We have the ProLiant ML115 G5 and the Easy Set-up CD that came with it does not support the SBS 2008 OS version. The CD does not seem to have any extra RAID control s/w on it.

Questions I have:

1. Does the HP ProLiant Array Configuration Utility for Windows 64-bit run from the OS and offer better control than the default (BIOS) Array control?

2. I understand that if I need to change a RAID 1 drive I need to power down and swap them over and the drive will be adopted as a new RAID 1 drive by the embedded s/w. Is this correct?

3. With a brand new drive is it necessary to format the drive and if so how?

4. Is the Lights Out facility available as default with this server?

Thanks.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13013_na/13013_na.HTML

1.) No. By default the ML115 G5 does not come with a smart array controller. User Guide mentions a "HP Storage Manager", unsure what that is though.

2.) User guide is here of the controller is here: http://www.hp.com/support/E_SATA_RAID_C_UG_en (found in User Guide of ML115 G5)

3.) With a RAID, formatting a drive is done from within the OS on the logical drive/LUN that the controller is presenting to the OS. If you replace a drive in an existing RAID you should not have to reformat the disk.

4.) No, it is optional.
happyhacker
Advisor

OK, thanks just to be sure:

3) so I buy a disk and just plug it in and the system does it without manual config.?
4) how do I get this (is there some hardware involved)?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

3.) Do what? Read the user guide I linked to above. Page 7-8 is about replacing a disk. If you have no hot-spare you need to manually add the disk as a spare to the array to start rebuild.
4.) Please read about Remote Management in the quickspecs. http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13013_na/13013_na.HTML#Additional Options

There is a lo100c card you can add.
happyhacker
Advisor

Thanks for being patient with me on this one. I see now that I have not installed any of the HP management s/w and now need to do so. I will download the Array Utility (the non CLI version - I don't think I need both).

There is also shown in the downloads an "CRITICAL" update and it's description is:

"Version Control Agent enables management of the HP ProLiant software and firmware on the system, in conjunction with the HP Version Control Repository Manager."

1. What is the HP Version Control Repositoy Manager and where can I get it? Perhaps this is part of the Insight Manager which I intend to download and install as well?

2. Should I also install the Smart Array Driver Storage Controller or is this for other hardware type Array controllers (I use the default ML115 controller)? Just checking that the existing controller is not covered by this download.

Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

1.) Which softwares would you monitor with this anyway??

2.) If you do not have an HP smart array controller (the default ML115 G5 is not one) - you do not need to install drivers for one and you cannot use HP ACU.