4647 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

There is no bootable drive configured on this system

seanie
Occasional Contributor

There is no bootable drive configured on this system

Hi There,

I have just purchased a ML 310 g5 prolaint server. It has 2 SAS 76GB drives in it, which are also brand new. I keep getting the error 'There is no bootable drive configured on this system'. I have tried various things but still no joy. I'm wondering what steps I need to take in order for the HDD's to be recognised. Can someone either describe them to me or send me to an easy to undersand technical document on the HP website?

Thanks in advance for you help

Sean
4 REPLIES 4
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Re: There is no bootable drive configured on this system

Hi

I'm afraid the hard disk has a failure.

The only think we can try is to remove - reattach disks, cables and disks bays if any if you are able to open the box.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

A ML 310 G5 has a lot of storage configuration alternatives. Without knowing your exact configuration, it is hard to give detailed instructions.

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12858_div/12858_div.HTML#Storage

Most likely the problem is that you have a hardware RAID controller of some model. A real hardware RAID controller must be told how to use the available physical disks and how to present them to the system as logical disks. If this is not done, no disks at all are visible to the system.

In general, to access the RAID controller, you have to watch the messages on-screen when the system is powering up and press F8 when the RAID controller is prompting you to do so.

HP usually uses the F9 key to access the main BIOS, while F8 is used to access the configuration of any and all "extensions" like iLO management interface, RAID controllers or extra SCSI cards. You must press F8 when the extension you want to configure is starting up.

If you bought the server as new, there should have been a CD-ROM full of easy-to-understand technical documentation in various languages included with it.

----------

The documentation is also available in the standard location:
http://www.hp.com/go/support

Select "See support and troubleshooting information" and type in your device model (i.e. "ML310 G5"). You could also search using the name of your RAID controller to get specific instructions for it.

From the next page, select "Manuals (guides, supplements, addendums, etc)". You now have a list of all manuals applicable to your server.

This general procedure listed above is applicable to most HP computer and printer products, so it might be useful to remember it.

-----------

In the list of manuals, find the section titled "User guide": the Server User Guide is in there, along with guides for various management software for your server.

MK
MK
seanie
Occasional Contributor

Hi Matti,

I will try and go through the documentation that was supplied with the machine. I guess I just need to invest the time.

How do I know it's not the HDD's themselves?

Sean
Viveki
Trusted Contributor

Hi

If you have a hardware RAID implemented, the hard disks cannot be suspected directly. The array controller might be faulty in that case. If the disks are not in RAID, the OS disk is failed for sure.