1752587 Members
3680 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Third party video card

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Third party video card

Attempting to install a third party pci video card without much success.

- Disconnected power
- Opened case.
- Disabled onboard video (DIP bank next to SCSI2 & IDE, switch 1 to 'on')
- Inserted video card into primary pci/isa bus slot 1 (closest to motherboard on riser)
- Moved video cable from onboard vga connector to newly installed video card
- Closed case
- Reconnected power
- Powered system on

No video signal after 15 seconds on either the onboard card or the newly installed vga card.

- Powered down
- Disconnected power
- Opened case
- Moved newly installed video card to secondary pci bus slot 6 (top of riser)
- Closed case
- Reconnected power
- Powered on

Still no video signal on either vga connector after 15 seconds.

- Put everything back to normal (removed video card, enabled embedded video)
- Powered on

System works as it did prior to attempting to install vga card. Nothing was damaged in the process. :)

- Disconnected power
- Opened case
- Disabled embedded video again (did NOT install the pci video card)
- Closed case
- Reconnected power
- Powered on

Still getting video sigal from onboard vga connector even though embedded video is disabled.

The video card I'm attempting to install is an ATI Rage 128 that works perfectly fine in another system, but will not work in the Proliant. It seems odd that the embedded graphics chip still works even though it was disabled. Does that DIP switch actually do anything? Is this a known issue? Does it matter which PCI slot is used? Did I miss anything?
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Third party video card

I have a proliant 800 with both the onboard and third party video enabled. The add-on is a matrox mellinium (I know it's outdated, but I already had it). It comes up as primary, and the onboard controller comes up as secondary. I have a 17 inch monitor on each, with the desktop enabled to span both- running win98 SE. If memory serves, the onboard controller did disable when I switched it off to test the new card. I'm still not sure I have the best driver for the onboard, since 98 is not the OS of preference...Good Luck
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I'm not having quite the same issue. Whenever I insert another VGA device, I get no video output from either and the computer never actually boots, so I never get far enough to try anything at all.
Frank_74

Hi,

I am experiencing the same issue on my Proliant 6000 when installing the ATI Radeon 7500. Were you able to resolve the issue? I am looking for some pointers.

I am guessing that I will have to look for some older vcards.

Thanks
Scott Prior
Occasional Advisor

I have a Proliant 6000, and I attempted to install a GeForce4 card, and it boots fine, but when the RAID controllers start up, they lock up. works fine with an older video card, but any system I put it in that has a RAID controller, the controller locks up when it starts to boot, even though I do get video.