ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753767 Members
5577 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: This drive has FAILED and should be replaced.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Florian Dushniku
Frequent Advisor

This drive has FAILED and should be replaced.

Hi,
HP Insight Diagnostic gives me this error (attached) when I do a Diagnose. I have to mention that the server is functioning normally and the lights are green. This is a ProLiant DL360 G4p. I am attaching the ADU report too.
I have the same problem in another server that I have posted in another thread. Regarding this other server I have done all the updates as suggested but the same situation continues.
11 REPLIES 11
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,

so why haven't you updated firmware on controller this controller?
Is 7.70 the latest ADU for this server?
Is the PSP or insight diagnostics not updated either?
Disk drive firmware looks like it's already the latest.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=466291&prodTypeId=329290&prodSeriesId=466290&swLang=8&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1005#29214
Florian Dushniku
Frequent Advisor

The point is that even I did the update in the first thread the problem wasn't resolved.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Florian Dushniku
Frequent Advisor

yes I know, nut I am afraid that the same situation will happen even after the update if I do it. What should I do?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor
Solution

On this disk:

Port 2I, Box 1, Bay 3

(since factory, the two other are 0)
Hrd Read 00000008

So there have been hard read errors, but not lately.

Again, if the tool says that the disk should be replaced ... why not replace it?

Florian Dushniku
Frequent Advisor

Ok. There is not any problem to replace it, but why does it say FAILED while the HDD is working normally and the light is green. Does it mean that the HDD has high possibilities ti fail completely? What procedure is followed to replace a HDD in RAID 1+0?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

To find out why the program is saying failed while (as far as we can tell the drive looks OK), I suspect you would need to ask for some assistance by HP - best way to do that would be through the support.

To replace a drive in a smart array controller with RAID1+0 and 4 drives you just take out the old one and put in a new one. Then rebuild will start.
Florian Dushniku
Frequent Advisor

I should take it out while the server is working or I should shut it down? To be safer is there any problem to shut it down first, then replace it, then start the server? will the rebuild start in this way?
what about in RAID 1+0 with 2 HDD. can i follow the same procedure?
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

You can find the official instructions in the user guide for each controller.

Here is the one for p600:

http://bizsupport.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00440340/c00440340.pdf

See page 22 for differences between doing it online and offline.