1748112 Members
3365 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tips to convert an old server for workstation/home server use? ML350 G6

Joe_Papa
Advisor

Tips to convert an old server for workstation/home server use? ML350 G6

I have an old ML350 G6 server from work that I want to use for workstation/home server duties. I'm not too knowledgable about server hardware so the learning curve is steep. I have tried installing Hyper-V 2019 and Windows 10 Pro so far unsuccessfully. I'm wondering if the installs fail because I dont' have the RAID drivers embedded or what? I have considered messing around with Unraid or Linux or VMs, but first I have to learn how to get something installed on the machine.

If anyone has some resources I could dig into that are relevant to this topic I would appreciate it. 

15 REPLIES 15
Cali
Honored Contributor

Hi,

start here:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/product/3884318/hpe-proliant-ml350-g6-server?ismnp=0&l5oid=3884315#t=DriversandSoftware

And choose one of the Supported operating Systems.

The OS you try are not Supported and will fail by missing Driver.

Cali

ACP IT Solutions AGI'm not an HPE employee, so I can be wrong.
Joe_Papa
Advisor

Thanks for the reply. Is it possible to install a non-supported OS if I manually integrate the proper drivers into the ISO for the new OS? Windows 10 Pro for example... If I build a custom ISO with the RAID drivers on it would that work?

I know this is not recommended and it's taking the hardware out of its lane, but I'm wondering what's possible and how I could do it.

Windows 10 Pro is attractive (to me) because I can enable Hyper-V functionality and because I'm most familiar with it as an OS

IT Global Service
Frequent Advisor

I think that it's not possible because the supported drivers are for old OS version and (i think) if you integrate in new OS , will not work.

On the other side, there are no MS drivers for old HP Servers in new OS.

Obviously there is no technical reason for this... it's only a marketing decision.

Clap your hands for HP & MS !

Every issue have the solution....maybe....
Cali
Honored Contributor

Install one of the Supported free Hypervisors (ESX 5.5).

Bunsol
HPE Pro

Supported Operating systems can be found in the below link:-

https://techlibrary.hpe.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/supportmatrix/windows.aspx

The drivers will be available for the supported operating systems in the smart start CD or our hpe support site. The Smart Array Controller drivers are available for supported Operating system required during installation. Hope this answers your query.

Cheers

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Joe_Papa
Advisor

Well, progress. I was able to install W10Pro on the ML350 G6. It was the RAID drivers that were missing. I used the drivers from WS2016 and it worked perfectly. After full boot and updates I was only missing drivers for the ILO devices. The WS2016 driver worked for the ILO hardware, but the interface driver wouldn't install. I assume that's because W10Pro doesn't have that functionality. Not a big deal.

I was able to turn on Hyper-V as well so I'll probably play around with it a bit this way.

I also downloaded ESXi to try. Fun!

Joe_Papa
Advisor

Thanks for this recommendation. Others have recommended this too. I'll look into it.

Joe_Papa
Advisor

I can't seem to get a clear answer about booting from a SATA SSD... Is this possible on the ML350 G6? I have confirmed that it doesn't work with an NVMe drive, but what about a SATA drive? Or will this server bios only boot from SAS?

Cali
Honored Contributor

SAS or SATA does not matter.