cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Took a long time to boot up the server

Micablue
Advisor

Took a long time to boot up the server

Everytime when I power up the server (DL380 G5), it takes approx. 8 mins before I can see the PROLIANT splash screen. I tried took out all my drives before I power up, and it did the same thing. Please advise
3 REPLIES
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: Took a long time to boot up the server

Hi,

Do you have a large amount of RAM in the machine ?

That might be causing the POST to be slow.

Cheers,

Rob
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

bring down the server to minimal configuration, clear the nvram and check for the boot time, if good start adding HW until it slows down, this way you can rule out a failed/misconfigure/outdated piece of HW, if any.
if the server is in minimal config and is still slow, swap the components with the ones you took out... always keeping minimal configuration, if the problem persists try updating the system (if is up to date go back a previous version) if none of this works try with a diff system board.

note: if a non compatible/third party piece of hw is installed it is very likely that it will slow your system
Micablue
Advisor

Okay, finally I find out it's faulty system board causing the issue. Strange, because the original system board is not really FAILED, but "Half Failed" I should say. Anyways, server is running fine now. Thanks everyone for your suggestions.