cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailing Spaces in System Bios DL385 G2

J Kunkel
Occasional Visitor

Trailing Spaces in System Bios DL385 G2

Does anyone know if it is now a standard for HP to have a serial number with trailing spaces? We are having issues with our internal programs that read the bios to get the serial number. Because of the trailing spaces in the bios, we are having to rework our programs to trim the spaces. I cannot find anything on the web nor from HP. Maybe I am looking in the wrong places.
3 REPLIES
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Trailing Spaces in System Bios DL385 G2

Hello J,
I don't think so. Spaces in the serial # tag ? Nope.

Well there are other asset information as the System info, & the welcome messages... which are BLANK by default. But no spaces.

Could you post any screen shot or logs or anything to support this ?

Regards,
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

I've ran across a few ProLiants that have white space after either the serial number or the model number. I don't remember which models I've seen this on. I do a lot of work with the SmartStart Scripting Toolkit for Linux and just have my script get rid of any white space if it's there

echo -e "*** Detecting system type ***\n"

export PRODUCT_NAME="`dmidecode | grep -m1 "Product Name:" | cut -d : -f 2 | sed 's/^[ \t]*//;s/[ \t]*$//'`"

export SERIAL_ID="`dmidecode | grep -m1 "Serial Number:" | cut -d : -f 2 | sed 's/^[ \t]*//;s/[ \t]*$//'`"

NOTE: the forum will probably wrap the text, there are 2 single line export commands

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
J Kunkel
Occasional Visitor

Thank you both for your replies. I am also working with my HP reps to see if I can get an answer to my question/issue. The last I have heard that it is by design to accommodate the legacy hardware from Compaq. I have found the same thing happen with the DL380G4, so I am thinking that something changed in our in-house tools. Thanks again.

Jennifer