108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Transfer Raid configuration of blown motherboard

SOLVED
Go to solution
PeteHickling

Transfer Raid configuration of blown motherboard

Hi,

Probably a easy answer but it's something I've never had to do before. We have a DL380G5 with a blown motherboard. We've got a spare DL380G5 we can swap in but I need to know how to transfer the RAID configuration off the inbuilt Raid controller from one server to the other. I believe on older servers it used to be held on an EPROM on the controller itself but where it is on a "modern" DL380G5 I haven't got a clue. Any help please?

Pete

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Re: Transfer Raid configuration of blown motherboard

The RAID configuration for the Smart Array controller is kept in the "RIS" area of each hard disk. The configuration is not stored on the controller. Just move the drives into the same slots on the spare server and the system should boot as normal. The only caveat is the replacement system needs to have the same or newer version of the controller firmware

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

... and you need to transfer *all* of the disks (disks must be working, it doesn't work with only a few disks or a dead disk).

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
PeteHickling

Jimmy,
Thanks for that.

Pete
PeteHickling

Torsten,
Yep, I rather figured it would need all the disks. I've played around breaking things offline before and figured that the RAID setup had to be written to the hard drives but it's nice to get some confirmation of what I thought before doing it with a production setup.

Pete