New Discussion юеВ

Re: Transfer SCSI HDD to another Identical Server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jian_2
Occasional Advisor

Transfer SCSI HDD to another Identical Server

Hi,

I have two ML530G2 servers. Both are identical except for the RAID Controllers.

Server1 has Smart Array 5302/128 RAID Controller (2xUltra3) (128MB Cache) - Netware 5.1 Server

Server2 (R&D Server) has Smart Array 6400 Controller (192MB v1.92)- Windows2000 Server

Both Servers are using thesame type and number of HDD, RAID5.

Server2 (Win2K) is intended as a backup of Server1 (NW5).

Can I safely transfer the HDD of Server1 to Server2 without lossing our data?

Max

5 REPLIES 5
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

This doccument will help you most
http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EX000818_CW01.xml&dt=3
Which gives following details.

---------------------------------------------------
System May Not Boot After Moving Bootable Logical Drive From One Smart Array Controller To Another
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RELEASE DATE: April 2002

DESCRIPTION
After migrating a bootable logical drive from one Compaq Smart Array Controller to another Compaq Smart Array Controller that contains a previously configured bootable or non-bootable logical drive, the system may not boot. The system only boots from the first logical drive on the primary controller. The logical drive migrated to the other server is assigned the next available logical drive number; therefore, the system will not boot. For example:
Server (A) is configured with a bootable logical drive.
Server (B) is configured with at least one logical drive.
Server (A) and Server (B) are powered down.
The bootable logical drive is moved from Server (A) to Server (B).
Server (B) is powered on.
The logical drive that was migrated from Server (A) to Server (B) is assigned the next available logical drive number. Since the bootable logical drive is no longer the first logical drive, the system will not boot.

SCOPE
Any Compaq server configured with any of the following Compaq Smart Array Controllers:
Compaq Smart Array 5i Controller
Compaq Smart Array 5i Plus Controller
Compaq Smart Array 221 Controller
Compaq Smart Array 431 Controller
Compaq Smart Array 532 Controller
Compaq Smart Array 3100ES Controller
Compaq Smart Array 3200 Controller
Compaq Smart Array 4200 Controller
Compaq Smart Array 4250ES Controller
Compaq Smart Array 5300 Controller
Compaq Smart Array 5302 Controller
Compaq Smart Array 5304 Controller
Compaq Smart Array 5312 Controller

RESOLUTION
If a Smart Array controller in Server (B) is configured with arrays and contains data, perform a complete backup of the system and then follow the procedure listed below: Power down Server (B).

Remove all logical drive volumes from Server (B).
Attach the bootable logical drive from Server (A) to Server (B).
Boot Server (B) to a current SmartStart for Servers CD or Smart Array 53xx Controller Support Software CD.
Launch the Compaq Array Configuration Utility.
Highlight the controller that the bootable logical drives from Server (A) are now attached to and then click on the "Settings" button.
Change the "Rebuild Priority" setting to a different setting than the current setting and then click on the "OK" button.
Save the configuration.
Return to the "Settings" menu and set the "Rebuild Priority" back to the original settings.
Save the configuration.
Reboot Server (B) and verify that the operating system boots.
Power down Server (B).
Reattach the additional logical drive volumes to Server (B).
Power on Server (B).

HARDWARE PLATFORMS AFFECTED: ProLiant 800, ProLiant 850R, ProLiant 6000, ProLiant 6500, ProLiant 7000, ProLiant 1600, ProLiant 3000, ProLiant 5500, ProLiant 1850R, ProLiant 400, Smart Array 3200 Controller, Smart Array 3100ES Controller, ProLiant 6400R, ProLiant 8000, ProLiant 8500, Smart Array 4200 Controller, Smart Array 4250ES Controller, ProLiant ML330, ProLiant ML350, ProLiant ML370, ProLiant DL380, ProLiant ML530, ProLiant ML570, ProLiant DL580, ProLiant ML750, Smart Array 221 Controller, Smart Array 431 Controller, ProLiant DL360, Smart Array 5300 Controller, ProLiant CL380, ProLiant DL320, ProLiant DL760, ProLiant ML330e, Smart Array 532 Controller, ProLiant ML370 G2, ProLiant DL380 G2, ProLiant ML330 G2, ProLiant ML350 G2, Smart Array 5i Controller, ProLiant DL380 G2 Packaged Cluster, ProLiant DL360 G2, Smart Array 5302 Controller, Smart Array 5304 Controller, Smart Array 5312 Controller

COMPONENTS AFFECTED: Array Controller

OPERATING SYSTEMS AFFECTED: Non-OS Specific

SOFTWARE AFFECTED:

THIRD PARTY PRODUCTS AFFECTED: None

DOWNLOADABLE FILES: None

In case of any problems revert back.

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Where as answer was yes you can do that

Regards,
Prashant S.
Nothing is impossible
Jian_2
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Prashant.
Just a follow-up question.

What if Server-B has only 3 HDD, while Server-A has 5 HDD. But both are RAID5. Is the solution stated in http://wwss1pro.compaq.com/support/reference_library/viewdocument.asp?source=EX000818_CW01.xml&dt=3

still valid/applicable for this?

Max
Prashant (I am Back)
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Q)What if Server-B has only 3 HDD, while Server-A has 5 HDD. But both are RAID5.

A) Yes we can do that what we will be getting is current configuration. In this case better will be to clear nvram then do it.

Regards,
Prasahant S.
Nothing is impossible
Jian_2
Occasional Advisor

Thanks again Prasahant. This information is really usefull for us.