ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer disk between two ESX Server (DL385)

macer
Occasional Contributor

Transfer disk between two ESX Server (DL385)

Hi guys,

Currently, I have my ESX server (DL385) with a logical of 2 x 72GB HDD created as RAID 0. This logical drive is the VMFS datastore which contains all my VM images. Due to some maintaince required on this server, I need to transfer this 2 disks over to another DL385 also installed with ESX. Can I achieve this without data loss? Will the ESX still recognize the 2 disks as a logical drive with RAID 0?

Appreciate your advice and thanks in advance!

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp Forum moderator

2 REPLIES
Thomas J. Harrold
Trusted Contributor

Re: Transfer disk between two ESX Server (DL385)

Wow, interesting situation.

I would never recommend raid0, unless you like recovering data from tape at some point.

That being said, I *believe* that proliant servers will recognize when raided disks are moved from one server to another, so long as the controllers are similar/same.

It's an easy test: power off your ESX server, and move the drives, and see if the new server reconizes the raid set, and boots. (you'll know at the firmware prompt - press F8 when prompted, and view the logical drive configuration)

If the disks are not recognized, move them back to the original server, and go to plan B. (migrate data)

-tjh
I learn something new everyday. (usually because I break something new everyday)
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: Transfer disk between two ESX Server (DL385)

Most, if not all Smart Array controllers store they disk configuration on the disks themselves. This allows you to freely move/migrate to different servers/storage configuration.

You should be able, like stated, power down, remove the drives, replace into other server and power up... and still have an array with 2 drives with a RAID0 Logical Drive on it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)