Did you mean: 

Trying to install 6404 controller for both internal and external disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
Kelly Davey
Occasional Contributor

Trying to install 6404 controller for both internal and external disks

HI folks

I am installing a new 6404 card in a brand new DL580G2 and having problems. I have an MSA30 enclosure attached to the 6404 - when I connect the controller to the internal disks and boot up I get a SCSI termination error saying that I can't connect both internal and external disks to the sams SCSI channel - this however is the exact config I used on all my older DL580G2s using the 5304 cards.

Somehow now my boot logical drive (4 disks in RAID 5) on the 5i has now disabled two of the disks when I booted in this config and I can't get them working again - I am starting to tear my hair out as I've tried a lot of things to get them working.

ANy ideas?
Ideally I need to get my boot drive back up, but secondary issue is the 6404 connections.

I'd really appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Kel
4 REPLIES
Adas Keserauskas
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Re: Trying to install 6404 controller for both internal and external disks

Hi Kelly,

How many channels are you using for internal SCSI connections?

The reason of this error is that you can not use the same internal and external channel.

So if you plugged your internal SCSI arrays on channel 1 and 2 you need to plug your MSA 30 on Channel 3 or 4 it depends on your configuration.

After you connect everything right you should get back your boot disk.

Regards, Adas
Kelly Davey
Occasional Contributor

Awesome thanks for your reply - I had actually managed to work the problem out eventually - I was using the same ports as I normally use on my 5304 cards in an older DL580G2, but after changing them I got everything working again.

Thanks for your help Adas!
Kelly
Adas Keserauskas
Occasional Advisor

Glad to help you. Enjoy your SA6404! By the way some points would be nice too :)
Kelly Davey
Occasional Contributor

Haha - sorry my mistake - have some points ;)