ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752604 Members
4793 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Trying to installa Win 2000 Advanced Server!

Naim Vitija

Trying to installa Win 2000 Advanced Server!

Hi all,

I'll start like this - I'm new with servers and I'm trying to install win 2000 advanced server on a ProLiant 3000 Server with a corrupted operating system. The server has a 600MHz procesor, 384MB RAM, a Smart Array 221 controler, 2 logical driver (one 17 GB, and the other over 80GB). I've got the 4 floppy start-up disks and the CD for win 2000 adv. server, but I can't boot the server!!!
I got into the Configuration Utility by pressing F10, and I selected the "install win NT operating system" from the Install New Operating System menu, but I press enter the system restarts but it doesn't boot nither from floppy or CD!!!
What I have to do to make the setup run???
Please help me...
Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4
Tom Mucha_1
Trusted Contributor

I don't think I've ever installed an OS thru the F10 System partition. By any chance do you have a SmartStart CD? If you do, boot to that, and that will do an assisted install of the OS.

If NOT.... The 2k CD should be bootable. Make sure you have the CD in the correct boot order position in the F10 System Partition.
Enes Manuel

yeah i confirm what tom wrote...

1rst case you have the smartstart CDs and the floppy to unlock SmartStart , it will reinstall the system with wizzard questions (use the remove system utility first), in this case your older RAID information are lost.

2nd case if the RAID informations (Raid volumes) in controller are still there your C drive can be used for a new Windows 2000 server install by simply booting on the cd
Gregory Lee_1
Regular Advisor

The Smartstart CD is a necessity. While your at it you may want to update the firmware.

Good Luck!
Greg
Naim Vitija

Thank you all for your help.
I finally managed to install W2K OS on my server.
I didn't have the SmartStart CD or any other boot floppies provided by Compaq, I only had W2K Server CD and the 4 start up floppies. The reason why I couldn't boot the server was because the floppy drive was bad, and the W2K CD for some reason wasn't bootable.

Thank you all again,
Bye