108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying to recover data from failed Wide Ultra 320 SCSI Hard Drive

SOLVED
Go to solution
droctogon
Frequent Advisor

Re: Trying to recover data from failed Wide Ultra 320 SCSI Hard Drive

The problem is, the OS is not accessible. It goes into a boot sequence ending with trying to boot from the NIC, then displaying some mac address numbers and then failing, then saying it will reboot in 10 seconds and repeats the process, reboots the server and repeats the process.

Only thing I have access to is the Bios and this Array Config Rom that is showing me the status of the logical drives, and allows me to delete or create.

No access to windows.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

Offline Array configuration utility is part of Smartstart CD.

ORCA is fine but it does not have all the options. some good advance feature and reporting is not available with ORCA which is there in ACU(array Configuration utility).

you can download the supported smartstart CD for ML350 G2
Version: 7.70 (20 Dec 2006)
smartstart-7.70-0.zip (517 MB)
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=uk&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=316596&prodNameId=3279703&swEnvOID=1005&swLang=8&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=MTX-b7c2aad969a347b9ac3734bcae

Download it, unzip it and burn the ISO image into disk.

then you can boot the server from smartstart CD and launch Array configuration utility from there.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

If you installed Windows in RAID 5, you will have to reinstall it due to the crash. It corrupts the registry and Active Directory Services on RAID 5 crashes. This is why Microsoft and Novell recommend only RAID 1 or 10 for OS installs. Microsoft also recommends RAID 1 for paging/swap.

Try safe mode. Don't do safe mode with networking. If you can get in, check your NIC setup.

Windows 2003 and 2008 require DNS working properly. DNS might need fixing.

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

You are very close... don't deviate from the troubleshooting that we had discussed.

I am repeating the steps that need to be followed to recover the OS. but let the rebuild process be completed first.

In the mean time you may download and prepare Smartstart CD from other computer.

Steps for " Not booting to Operating system"

1. check the boot controller order in system bios or in Controller bios (ORCA) and make your smart array controller is selected as a first boot controller.

2. Also check the boot order, make sure no floppy or CD disk inside.

3. still no luck... boot the system from the original operating system disk (the one which was used to install operating system previously on this server)

4. Run the windows setup and choose REPAIR option... this will not erase anything rather will reinstall and repair all the corrupted/damaged OS files including mbr without formatting the partition.

5. disconnect all other devices like tape drive, external extorage box etc... while performing these steps.

6. once everything is setup and you are back in windows, verify your data and back it up to ensure proper backup.

7. now you may plan to update the server with the latest driver and firmware.

Cheers!
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!

Accept or Kudo

droctogon
Frequent Advisor

It's still recovering I believe. I haven't done anything yet.
Ali
HPE Pro

hi There,

hope it is progressing.

did you have a chance to prepare smartstart CD to use the ACU later on.

Since you are in ORCA... can you check the boot controller order.

Also be ready with your windows CD as mentioned in the previous post.

thanks
Aftab

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

droctogon
Frequent Advisor

Logical drive status now shows ok, and all trays occupied trays show a status of ok from 0-2.

I am still downloading the smart start cd image, hp servers are kind of slow. Still have 3 hours on the download.
Ali
HPE Pro

If logical drive status is OK... you can proceed with the windows recovery I explained earlier...

before that check the boot controller order and boot order and reboot the server.

please let me know the what come... is it booting to OS?

thanks
aftab
I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

droctogon
Frequent Advisor

This server was using Microsoft Small Business Server 2003. The server continues to act the same as it has before recovering the array. I am attaching the information that displays during the boot.

Also it shows a System , Non- System Disk error at the end of the cycle. This displays even though there are no disks in the CD Room or Diskette Drive.

droctogon
Frequent Advisor