1753384 Members
5873 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trying to salvage data from raid0 simplex array on a dead proliant 3000

Philip Gleghorn

Trying to salvage data from raid0 simplex array on a dead proliant 3000

Hi all,

We have an old Compaq Proliant 3000 with Smart 2DH array controller and wide-ultra hot swap bay containing 4 drives configured in raid0 simplex mode.

We had a power outage yesterday and it looks like the PSU has died (power on with no load gives leds OK, but power on when the motherboard is connected gives amber then flashing green, indicating a fault detected in the PSU). We have no warranty, support with Compaq/HP or sister system/replacement parts.

Given that the most likely point of failure at the moment is the PSU one option is to replace it, but I would prefer to salvage the data off the raid array by whatever means possible, because our plan was to retire this old system anyway. Since I cannot start the proliant, my current path has been to replace the smart 2DH controller into a new linux system and connect up hot swap drive bay to hopefully access the data that way. I have the controller installed and configured as best as I can tell.

Now I am trying to supply power to the hot swap drive chassis. In the original standard configuration power came from the PSU to the main power backplane, and then to the backplane on the hot swap drive chassis. However power-on does not power up the drive bays due to the fault on the PSU.

I would like to bypass the proliant and directly supply power to the hot swap drive chassis, but I can find no information about the pinout or power requirements on the compaq site or other sites on the internet. The power input on the back panel of the hot swap chassis is labelled P500 on the PCB, and is a 12-pin female socket resembling a Molex Mini-Fit Jnr or HCS.

Where can I find the power requirements and pinout of the power input to the drive chassis?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Phil Gleghorn
Tech Support / MIS
3 REPLIES 3
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: Trying to salvage data from raid0 simplex array on a dead proliant 3000

Philip save your time, if server uses Power Supply backplane that will be not easy
Simply buy used parts off eBay or new Online Store and restore access to data, is the DATA worth your time? Or few $$$
What server exactly you use some one can get for you PN ### for replacement - what exactly you believe is failed?
Raj_75
Regular Advisor

If you have another Proliant server with PCI slot and Hot plug drive bay, you can simply install array controller and hard drives into this. Then you can boot the server and install VGA and network card drivers and recover the data.

It would be better to note the order of the hard drives before removing from the faulty server.
Philip Gleghorn

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. The data is non-critical (hence why it was raid-0 without backups, not my idea!), so the reason I was trying this approach is that I only found prices of replacement PSUs around 600 euro (I was shown one -much- cheaper on ebay), and I would rather put my small budget towards a replacement system without or without this data than spend the money maintaining this one only to EOL it in a few weeks.

In any case, the solution to my problem was embarassingly simple, I had overlooked the side chassis intrustion switch. I knew about it because I have worked on this box with the case off before, but obviously not enough for it to sink in. The signature of the flashing LEDs on the PSU was green power constant on, one amber alert flash, followed by 10 green alert flash then a PSU reset.

Thanks,
Phil