ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753844 Members
7432 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Turning on PSU outside the server (ML350 G3)

kumen

Turning on PSU outside the server (ML350 G3)

How do I turn on the server power supply outside the server, and without a backplane?
It is possible?
9 REPLIES 9
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

What do you mean turn on the server? It is on when you plug it in. Can you elaborate? Do you want to turn on the server when its off remotely? You can use ILO to log in and start the server.
kumen

Sorry for my bad English
I want to run outside the server power supply.
kumen

I want turn on power supply without the server.
kumen

I want to use this power supply outside the server.
Sorry for triple reply.
My english is bad:)
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You want to power something else from this power supply? I doubt it would work. They require the power supply hot swap cage and are designed for the HP Server. You could buy a standard power supply with a power switch to use.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Michael, doesn't have to be because he wants to power something else on, maybe it's just for troubleshooting :)

Anyway, I agree with ya, it'd be quite some work to get it running outside a compatible chassi..

Kumen: this is something you'd want an electrician to look into and not something (in my opinion) that someone should attempt to explain if your English is not so good. It can be dangerous OK?
kumen

Instructions how to publish and use any ATX power supply as a "laboratory" (for example: http://www.wikihow.com/Convert-a-Computer-ATX-Power-Supply-to-a-Lab-Power-Supply) is a lot, but for this power supply is nothing to be found.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

HP does not use ATX power supplies. They are customed for their servers. You can contact PC Power and Cooling. They can custom wire a power supply with a switch that will power it up for you.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi Kumen,

thanks for your query.

Let me clarify the power sub-system used in servers.

ML350 G3 is mid-range server and has hotplug power supply. The task that you want to perform can not be considered for enterprise server environment but can be performed with normal desktop PC in desktop PC environment.

Desktop PCs has low end non hotplug power supply which can be tested outside the chassis but servers have high-end with many power factor, thermal correction and high efficiency power supplies which can not be tested outside the chassis.

Power multimeter is a device which is used to check input/out power for low voltage non hotplug power supplies come with desktops PCs or to test Input current directly from the socket.

Power Supplies used in server has Input Current 115VAC, 2A at 230VAC but peak output is 450W and above based on server model

So even if you get non hotplug server power supply you can not test outside chassis or other devices. It will end of damaging the components if tried due to high constant power output. If you want to test another server board with this power supply then how would you convert ac current to DC current and how power regulation will take place?
Please note :servers work on DC current.

Servers has integrated/additional DC converter module / Power backplane which coverts the AC current to DC and regulates the power as power requirement by different components installed in the server and this process is monitor and control by processor.

Hope this helps,
thanks
Aftab

I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo