108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Turning on the (undocumented?) SATA port on a ML350 G5 mother board

SOLVED
Go to solution
Raoul Ross
Occasional Advisor

Turning on the (undocumented?) SATA port on a ML350 G5 mother board

Topic says it all... I'd like to hook up a removable HDD for back-up purposes but I cannot find anywhere how to turn it on (nothing in the BIOS). It's a stand-alone port (silk-screened as SATA on the board itself)

HP tech supports left me hanging on the phone for 30 minutes and never called me back.
7 REPLIES 7
Solution

I think what you are looking at is the sata optical connector
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00709040/c00709040.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

this is the hp notice for the 350

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01277123&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
hope this helps, just be carefull this doesnt change the boot sequence
Raoul Ross
Occasional Advisor

Thanx, this answered my question!
Raoul Ross
Occasional Advisor

Well you called it, I cannot boot now that I've installed a SATA card and the removable HDD. If I remove the drive connector it shows the card and will boot. If I leave the drive connected it won't.

I can't find in the BIOS setup where to change the boot sequence (except for IDE/Floppy/USB/CD-ROM) Do I need to get into the Array controller and change something?

sorry to here that, first check to see if you have the current rom, there are a few important fixes. then boot priority is sata over ide if bootable meidia is detected on sata, looking into the bios settings to bypass this will let you know

Version: 2008.01.24 (A) (30 Jan 2008)

Raoul Ross
Occasional Advisor

Hey Richard, thanx for replying so soon...

It's using the Onboard SATA Array to boot, but that option doesn't show up in the BIOS.... only IDE/Floppy/USB/CD-ROM (Optical I assume) That's why I asked about going into the Array setup to see if there's anything in there.

I'll re-boot it tonite and get the BIOS version and then look in the array controller and let you know what I find tomorrow.
Jonathan Rengifo

Hi,

I think I am facing the same problem, I am trying to plug a standard SATA disk (Western Digital 400GB) on the undocumented SATA port, but my server (HP Proliant ML350 G5) does not detect it. I even changed the boot sequence and nothing happened.

Can you please help me too?

Thanks and best regards,
Jonathan
Raoul Ross
Occasional Advisor

Hey Jonathan, read the links that Richard posted... that port supports an Optical Drive only.