ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753972 Members
7941 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Two Fiber Channel HBA Cards in HP Proliant DL 380 G4

Balaraman S

Two Fiber Channel HBA Cards in HP Proliant DL 380 G4

I have installed two Qlogic QLA2340 Fiber HBA Cards(2Gbps) in a HP Proliant DL 380 G4 server which has 3 PCI X 2.0 Slots. One slot is of 133MHz and other two slots are of 100MHz. I have installed one HBA Card in 133MHz slot and another HBA Card in 100MHz slot. Will there be any problem in doing like this or should i install both the HBA Cards in 100MHz slots?
Other details:
These two HBA Cards are used for multipathing and the server will be connected to SAN. Server is running Windows 2003 Std Edition.
2 REPLIES 2
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Re: Two Fiber Channel HBA Cards in HP Proliant DL 380 G4

Hello Bala,
There should not be any problems as such.
The cards will work at their respective "SLOT SPEED".

Regards,
Balaraman S

Re: Two Fiber Channel HBA Cards in HP Proliant DL 380 G4

Hi James,
Thanks for your reply. I installed the card last week and couple of days back when i observed the ports in my Fiber Channel switch one of the port was shown as offline and when i checked the HBA Card one of the card was online(green led glowing) whereas the other card was having both the green and amber led glowing continuosly. Hence i rebooted the system once but after which i did not see any problem for the past two days.
But i went through HP's spec page...
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12028_div/12028_div.html
SlotNo BusSpeed Bus Number* DeviceNumber**
1 64-bit/133MHz 10 1
PCI-X
2 64-bit/100MHz 6 1
PCI-X
3 64-bit/100MHz 6 2
PCI-X
*NOTE: Default bus assignment. Inserting cards with PCI bridges may alter the actual bus assignment number.
**NOTE: Slots are enumerated differently based on OS. MS OS's enumerate from lowest to highest Device ID by bus (starting with the lowest bus).

As you could see above 133MHz slot and 100MHz slot are having same 'device number' hence i would like to know if this would be a problem to this setup as the HBA Cards has to work in active-active mode and should support load balancing.