ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752591 Members
2779 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Type of ram in the DL360G5 server

aaanekre

Type of ram in the DL360G5 server

We are using this server in our school which as usual has limited funds.. I am wondering if we can use standard cheap DDR2 ECC RAM from kingston?
Or more spesific: KVR667D2D4P5K2/8G
Link:
http://www.ec.kingston.com/ecom/configurator_new/partsinfo.asp?root=&LinkBack=&ktcpartno=KVR667D2D4P5K2/8G
5 REPLIES 5
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
here are supported memory modules made by Kingston for your server, 100% compatibility.
Check if you can buy them.

Jan
aaanekre

Thank you for your reply.
The problem is that these memory modules are more expensive (420$ in the US). We can get the cheaper ones for 280$ in Norway. It will save us som $$$ to buy the cheaper ones since we are upgrading both our servers to 32GB.
I understand that the cheaper modules does not necessarily have the same quality and may not support the same error correction circuitry but that is not really important since we are using these servers for educationally tasks only.
So my question is still: Does these servers support basic simple RAM as long as the speeds are correct?
Jan Soska
Honored Contributor

Hello,
I think it should work as it has OK speed and has ECC and register. Is it possible to try 1 pair to make sure?
I am sorry I've never tried such ram in our servers but understand your price point.

Jan
Rancher
Honored Contributor

We did try the Kingston RAM at one point in a ProLiant server. All we well for a few days and then we had problems with the server shutting down. We replaced the memory and had no more trouble. Since then we have only used HP memory. This was a few years ago so maybe things have changed.