ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UPS Shutdown doesn't go through shutdown sequence!

keater
Occasional Contributor

UPS Shutdown doesn't go through shutdown sequence!

I have a ML370 G4 Proliant and I'm having a field day trying to get it to do a proper shutdown with an APC SmartUPS.

Here's all I want the UPS to do when it goes on battery. It should shut down a service first through a batch file, and then shut down the server, keeping the UPS on until it dies (or power comes back on) without interruption.

I tried the APC Powerchute and the darn thing will shut down the server properly but it also shuts down the UPS or power cycles it (which kills any other devices connected to it)

So I decided to make the SmartUPS not so smart and just keep staying on battery till it dies ( or when the power comes on) and use the default Windows 2003 R2 UPS support.

And I find that the UPS will act like a laptop battery and I have two levels of battery alerts in Power Options. That's great because I wanted the first level to run a batch file to shut down several services first. Then on the Critical Alarm, I chose the Shutdown. Now here's the kicker, when it reaches the Critical Alarm, it just TURNS OFF THE COMPUTER! It doesn't even go through a shutdown routine, the whole computer just turns off.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Isn't the Shutdown alarm action supposed to do a proper shutdown??? I could do a batch file with a shutdown routine but that's just silly because a computer just shouldn't shut off just like that.

3 REPLIES
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: UPS Shutdown doesn't go through shutdown sequence!

hi

you could try how to handle that UPS at APC forum too

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
keater
Occasional Contributor

Yes I did ask about trying to handle it strictly with PowerChute.

But my alternate method was using the Windows 2003 native UPS support and it struck me odd that the 'shutdown' option in the Power Options performed a literal power-off to the system as if I pulled the plug. Was wondering if that was some kind of oddity with just the HPs. I'm going to test it out on a different server to see if it's just this server.
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Try Lansafe with your UPS. It works with Compaq and other UPS models (not 100% sure about APC) but give it a try.

http://www.powerware.com/software/Lansafe5.asp?CC=1

Regards,

Brian