3057 Online
108761 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: USB controller for PL 1600 with W2003 SBS

Leonard MOR
Frequent Advisor

USB controller for PL 1600 with W2003 SBS

Hi,

Have just installed W2003 SBS on an old PL1600/450 machine (and yes the version 5.5 SmartStart CD was needed to reply to a number of threads on this topic).

Managed to find all the drivers except the INTEL 82371SB PCI USB universal host controller (doing a rough translation here, because the version I installed is in French). Still have an exclamation mark on this peripheral.

Does anyone know if such a driver exists?

Cheers,
Len

8 REPLIES 8
Robin_37
Trusted Contributor

Victor Pendlebury
Valued Contributor

Hi Leonard

As far as I can remember, PL1600 doesn't have a USB controller but has a chip which is recognized as the Intel 82371 : the problem was the same under W2000 and some PL ( 1600 / 1850R ) : there is no driver available : If the question mark is enoying you, simply disable this component

But maybe somebody from Compaq ( yes Compaq as it is a PL1600 :-) ) could confirm this

Merry Xmas
Vic
Leonard MOR
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Victor,

In fact I was surprised that a USB type controller was detected since as you say there are no USB ports on the server. And since I went from NT4 to W3K, I didn't see the problem with W2000.

Regards,
Len
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Leonard,

Here is a workaround for the chipset on the Proliant 1600 which causes this.

Problem Description

On Proliant 1600s with only one processor, the USB controller (Intel 82371 AB/EB PCI to USB Universal Host Controller) shows up with an exclamation in the Device Manager of Windows 2000. If you disable it, it has a red splat instead of a yellow one. If you remove it, Plug and Play reinstalls it on the next boot. You cannot manually change IRQs on it because the resource screen is greyed out. You cannot manually add a USB Root Hub because that category does not exist for installs until after the Root Hub is automatically installed, making that pointless. You cannot simply free up other IRQs because the controller with not automatically move until IRQ 83 is made available. Also, the USB Root Hub never shows up on affected systems. In and of itself, this is not a problem because the Proliant 1600 has no USB connectors, just a chipset. However, some customers require no splats in DevMan.

Cause

The Standard PC HAL can only use 16 IRQs while the MPS Uniprocessor PC HAL can use 256 IRQs.

Resolution/Workaround

Confirmed this fix for the 350 Mhz -600Mhz processor Proliant 1600 series. Go into the SCU under Advanced Options (CNTR-A at first screen) and change the APIC mode to Full Table. Then, boot into Win2K and update the Standard PC driver in DevMan to MPS Uniprocessor PC. You do not need to remove or reinstall the USB driver. Reboot when it asks you to and everything comes up fine, along with the USB Root Hub. The processor can also now use 256 IRQs.

This information was taken from a support article on the problem.

I hope this helps.

Brian

Budvig Mirko

Hi Leonard
I have the same problem, but wouldn't care if there's a exclaimation point in the device manager.
But my problem is, that I've installed a USB2.0 PCI card to use with the Proliant 1850R, but I don't get it to work, I have tried almost everything, but no chance to have this card up and running.

Can you help me further on with the experiences you maybe made with this post ??

It woukld be great !
Or someone els ? Please !!!!
Greetings
Mirko
Wesley W.D. Summers
Frequent Advisor

The key to what Brian is recommending is to use the System Configuration Utility (SCU) with the Advanced Options enabled (Control-A at the Main Menu).

Only with Advanced Options enabled will you be able to see the APIC mode, which must be set to Full Table.

Then, Brian suggest booting Win2K and updating the Standard PC Hardware Abstraction Layer (HAL) driver in Device Manager to 'MPS Uniprocessor PC' HAL (This is found in the 'Computer' section of DevMan).

However, this isn't necessarily what you want. My ProLiant 1600 machines all have Dual Processors installed, so I require the 'MPS Multiprocessor PC' HAL.

It has been my experience that if you use the SCU to set the APIC mode to Full Table, Windows looks after everything else for you. So, once the APIC mode is set correctly, it might only be necessary to Right-Click anywhere in the DevMan window, and select the 'Scan for hardware changes' option (Assuming Windows didn't notice the changes when you rebooted).

Regards, Wesley.
Wesley W.D. Summers
Frequent Advisor

I have just installed a USB 2.0 card into a ProLiant 1600 (Tower), and it worked perfectly first time with my fully patched Windows 2000 Small Business Server (Win2K SBS).

It machone is configured as described above, and I am using a USB-Attached mouse as I write this.

So the problem Mirko was experiencing might be caused by something else.

However, he was using a ProLiant 1850R. So, I will boot up one of my 1850R machines, install a USB card, and report back.

But, maybe after all this time, Mirko doesn't care any more.

Regards, Wesley.
Budvig Mirko

Hi Wesley
thanks for your answer. I know, I'm a little bit late, but Y E S !!! I still care a lot!
A have a little server farm with 8 PL1850R and it would be a great help, if I could use external USB-devices on them (like ext. HD or NAS or.....)
So if you found out, what the problem was or is... I'd be still very interested in knowing more about it!

I wish you all a very good new year 2007 and may the future be more friendly and pacefull!

Greetings from Switzerland!
Mirko