1753556 Members
5912 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: USB install for Server2008 - no DVD drive available

Mark Mills1
Occasional Advisor

USB install for Server2008 - no DVD drive available

The new Smartstart 8.0 includes the option to install the Windows Server 2008 family. I do not have a DVDROM in my DL380 G3 for the Server 2008 DVD.

I tried to use a USB key (FAT32 format) with the install files copied off the DVD to it. I can see the USB key and SmartStart is prompting me to browse to the installation directory?

In W2K3 I would of pointed it to i386 but I am having no luck when pointing it to any directory on the usb key with the 2008 OS install files????? I guess I will copy the ISO image to the USB key and see if that works?
10 REPLIES 10
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

like in my previous thread when you are prompted for directory

/mount/usb1/

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

check picture
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

check picture
hishan

i had a question, copy the i386 file in it or copy the ISO files in it?
thx for reply
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

I have a W2008 DVD so I copied all folders(files) from DVD to USB key, in case you only have an iso image extract it and copy contents to USB key

I did not try with ISO in the USB key

see picture after I copied all file from DVD to USB key and just use

/mount/usb1/

pretty easy

regards
Mark Mills1
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for your reply - I pointed the OS File Directory to /mount/usb1/ but the system would not accept it. I'm trying pointing it to an ISO this morning.

What key stroke can you hit in Smart Start to capture a screen image and save it to USB/floppy - I really appreciated your screen capture that you included in your post.
Mark Mills1
Occasional Advisor

For whatever reason, Smart Start 8.0 worked immediately with the W2K8 ISO file. Not sure why I could not get it to work when I had extracted the files out of the ISO and had put them in the root of the USB Drive. I could browse the \mount\usb1\ directory and had tried pointing the install to the parent, as well as, several sub directories.

How can you save a screen capture while in Smart Start environment? Anyone know?
Mark Mills1
Occasional Advisor

I forgot to mention one item about installing Server 2008.

I originally had 2 18GB drives mirrored and the Smart Start 8 stated it wasn't large enough for Windows 2008, and I needed 19.2GB. So I put in two 36GB drives mirrored and then it said I didnt have enough space and needed something like 40GB. I ignored the warning this time and hit "continue". Once I get it installed I will see if we can get by with using 2 18GB mirrored. Anyone else having this issue?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

weird

I've done 3 times with /mount/usb1/ and it has worked for me

did yo use this / or \ ?

I use ilo to capture the screens, a remote connection integrated in proliant servers

regards