5748 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: USB problems and PlugPlay Manager warnings

Templaar
Frequent Visitor

USB problems and PlugPlay Manager warnings

Hello,

We have 4 Proliant servers and 3 of them are acting strange when 16GB USB is plugged in.

Here are some details:

1. By default, boot order is configured like this: CD/DVD, Harddrive, USB. When USB is plugged in, server can't pass the screen "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..." It just hangs there. We have to pull off the USB or change boot order to be able to start the server.

2. All servers are running Windows 2003 SP2, in eventviewer we've got many warnings from PlugPlay Manager, Event ID 257 and the Symantec Backup Exec System Recovery service is hanging.

PROLIANT DL380 G4   - problem occures

PROLIANT DL380 G4   - problem occures

PROLIANT DL180 G6  - problem occures

PROLIANT ML150 G6  - no problem, everything works properly.

It looks like there is something wrong with hw compatibility or firmware?

Can anybody help with troubleshooting? I can provide any information if needed. Thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I think the message

"Press any key to boot from CD/DVD..."

comes either from the USB or CD device - so it does boot from ...

I'm sure this is not a message from the system itself.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Templaar
Frequent Visitor

Yes, this message is from bootable CD which is in the server all the time, and it used to show this "Press any key..." message for few second and then go to the next item from boot order list: CD/DVD, Harddrive, USB

But when I put USB key, (CD is still there and boot order the same) server hangs on this message. Exactly the same problem occurs on 3 servers.

I need to know if there is any known compatibility problem with 16GB USB keys on PROLIANT DL380 G4 or PROLIANT DL180 G6

This is one of my problems when USB key is plugged in. Another one is frequent PlugPlayManager warning events in eventviewer and backup service hanging.

It's definitely not the Windows problem, because exactly the same version with the same settings is on PROLIANT ML150 G6 and there is no problem.