108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ubuntu / Debian on ML110 G5 with SATA RAID 1

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jesper Hjertstedt

Ubuntu / Debian on ML110 G5 with SATA RAID 1

Hi,
I have a ProLiant ML110 G5 with two harddrives in a SATA RAID 1. I have been trying to install Ubuntu 9.04, 8.10, 8.04 and Debian 5 but running into trouble with the harddrives.

Ubuntu 9.04 seems unable to detect any harddrives at all during installation.

Ubuntu 8.10 has no problem detecting the RAID 1 array as one harddrive. And I'm able to install the OS without any problems. But restarting the server after installation ends in failure. I get the following error :
"ALERT! /dev/mapper/ddf1_disc1 does not exist. Droppting to a shell!"
I've been unsuccessful to repair anything from the shell I'm forced into and trying to use the install CD as a rescue disc doesn't seem to work either.

Both Ubuntu 8.04 and Debian 5 have problems detecting the RAID array and instead shows both my harddrives as two seperate hardrives to me during installation.

I've been trying to search for some information but without any success. There seem to be some drivers for RedHat and Novell but none that I can use for Ubuntu, Debian or some other "free" dist.

Regards Jesper
6 REPLIES 6
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Linux will see the disks as 2 single drives. That controller is really "fake" RAID as it s not a true hardware raid controller. The driver controls the raid functionality. The driver is not open source and only made available for RHEL and SLES.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jesper Hjertstedt

Thanks for your reply.

Seems that the only solution to the problem is to buy a "true hardware raid controller".

Are there any controllers that have open source drivers that are known to work in Linux with ML 110 G5?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

According to the quickspecs for the ML110 G5 the HP Smart Array E200 is supported. the "cciss" driver used with the HP Smart Array controllers is an open source driver that is included in most distributions. The source can also be found at http://opensource.hp.com

ML110 G5 Quick Spec
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12867_na/12867_na.html

Smart Array E200 Controller 411508-B21
HP SAS/SATA 4-Port Cable 457692-B21

The 300 series ProLiant servers generally have an embedded HP Smart Array Controller

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jettana Mutchakwang

I had a problem like you and I still blank on howto solve this problem.

Did you solve this problem? If you have any solution,please help me solve this problem.

Thank you
Jesper Hjertstedt

Have had trouble getting the new raid card to work with the server. Been away on vacation so have not been able to do anything more with the server. A colleague of mine is working with it now.

I will get back with more info about our attempts.
Jesper Hjertstedt

At first we did only use the E200 Controller and not the extra Cable which of course did not work.

But after connecting the hard drives and the E200 controller with the new cable it worked.

So following Jimmy Vances advice and buying these solved the problem :

Smart Array E200 Controller 411508-B21
HP SAS/SATA 4-Port Cable 457692-B21

Thank you Jimmy