cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ugrading RAID 5 Hard Drives

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Ugrading RAID 5 Hard Drives

I have a ProLiant Server that is running NT 4.0. It currently has a SMART-2/P RAID controller with 5 4.3GB Ultra Wide Scsi Hard Drives, serial number 242591-013, running Compaq Array Configuration Editor 2.10A. I want to upgrade the hard drives to 9.1 GB Ultra Wide Scsi and I am wondering what type of hard drives I should order that would work on this server? Also I need to do this live and was planning on pulling out one of the old hard drives from the server, install a new 9.1GB, let the RAID 5 rebuild itself, and then doing the same for all the remainder of the hard drives. I wondering if this will work and would the raid controller automatically see the extra storage or would I have to change the array, and can I change it online?
2 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Ugrading RAID 5 Hard Drives

You need 1" W/U SCSI-3 10K II HDD HPL CODE 313706-B21
You can also do it live.. See Adding disk space to drive array discussion.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Ugrading RAID 5 Hard Drives

The feature you're talking about is called 'array expansion', and the smart 2p does support it. Briefly, remove 1 drive - wait for the array to realize you've pulled the drive. (it will fail the drive) - plug in new drive, it will be recognized and begin rebuild. let the rebuild complete before pulling another drive. expect it to take about 30miniutes per gigabyte of data for the entire array. once all drives have been replaced, the additional space will show up in the array configuration utility so you can create a new logical drive.