5630 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultra Wide 3 on Proliant 1850r

Daniel Heimburg
Occasional Contributor

Ultra Wide 3 on Proliant 1850r

Hello,
I wonder if there is any compatible issues with using UW3 on the integrated scsi controllers on proliant 1850r (dual Pentium II), and the Smart Array 221. I seem to be getting tons of parity check errors on the integrated port, and the smart array fails during POST asking me to switch cables (which I have tried without success).

Any help appriciated,
Daniel Heimburg
3 REPLIES 3
Joseph Loo
Honored Contributor

Re: Ultra Wide 3 on Proliant 1850r

hi,

based on the support manual:

http://h200005.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_333172-002/TPM_333172-002.pdf

ultra SCSI-3 and ultra2 SCSI are supported. if u still have problem, consult HP.

regards.
what you do not see does not mean you should not believe
Daniel Heimburg
Occasional Contributor

Intresting.. though Im not sure if that manual corresponds to my server. From what I know there are several models of 1850r, and the P3 models seems to have UW3 support, not the P2. But they should still be able to run in degraded mode, am I not correct?

Daniel Heimburg
e4services
Honored Contributor

After reading your question 3 times, I think you should clarify a few things. Are you asking if you can replace the controller? Or do you ask if you can use Ultra3 drives?But you say "using UW3 on the integrated" .

The limitation of protocol is the backplane/cable system on the ultimate transfer speeds. You may use anything upstream and down, but the actually transfer rate will be dependant on the full system. You can attached Ultra2 drives to an Ultra3 controller, you can attach an Ultra3/160/320 controller to Ultra2 drives, with no problem in function.
Hot Swap Hard Drives