7851 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Ultra3 SCSI drive with SmartArray 6xxx controller

eran70
Frequent Advisor

Ultra3 SCSI drive with SmartArray 6xxx controller

Hi,
Today we detected failure for one of the 36 Gb 15K U320 drives connected to G4 server with SmartArray 641 controller. As temporary solution we put COMPAQ BD03663622 Ultra3 drive instead. Then we notice that drive speed detected by ACU/Management agents is Ultra2.
Same drive detected as Ultra3 on server with SmartArray 5300 controller.
What is the issue here?
8 REPLIES 8
eran70
Frequent Advisor

Re: Ultra3 SCSI drive with SmartArray 6xxx controller

Anybody have idea?
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

we see "scsi bus downsift" when F/W of embedded controller on hard drive is not at same leve across same model of HD. only way to correct is to run the 7.40 FW update CD. here is link to iso image:
http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/24048.html

* prefered method of repair is to insert correct part.
eran70
Frequent Advisor

Andy,
SmartArray 641 and BD03663622 SCSI drive both have last firmware
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

what server model ? drives connected internally or externally, Hot plug or not
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

have you updated your ACU? it is on 7.40B PSP. unless you are having performance issues i would not worry too much about it. since it only a temp. fix. but your warranty drive replacement should have came in my next day ups. you have called it in, right? you call in, they send new, you replace. you return defective.
eran70
Frequent Advisor

Kov, ML370 G4 server with SmartArray 641 controller, hot-plug drives
"Same drive detected as Ultra3 on server with SmartArray 5300 controller" - ML370 G1 server with SmartArray 5300

Andy, we have last PSP installed as well.
Now we can replace drive to new U320 drive, but I want to understand why Ultra3 drive works as Ultra2 with SmartArray 641.
Andy_180
Trusted Contributor

eran70- sorry i can not give you a definative answer but here are my thoughts: could be a flakey drive, backplane issue or your sys rom may need updated. if you want to se if it is a drive issue, put another ultra3 drive in and see if the acu detects it again as a ultra2. if not then it is a flakey embedded controller on the drive. if it does detect as an ultra 2 then swap the backplane with another like model. weird... when you find out i am curious to know.
eran70
Frequent Advisor

I have tried several COMPAQ BD03663622 Ultra3 drives on two different servers with SmartArray 641 controller - same behaviour - drives detected as Ultra2.