8332 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultra320 SCSI HardDrive in ML370 G4, 80 pins

Ali
HPE Pro

Hi,

I agree with Michael.. If you have carepaq/Contract with HP, stick with HP hardware.

else, third party Raid controller is a good option to consider.

About HP hard drive: I guess they also don't manufacture these drives. it's like OEM products taken from different vendors (Seagate, Maxtor, samsung etc.)and customised as per their requirement.

Connecting IBM drive to integrated SCSI controller : as you mentioned it can fit nicely underneath CDROM drive, you can explore this possibilities by removing the hard drive caddy, and get the ribbon/terminated cable to connect to internal scsi port.

SCSI Bus needs to be terminated on both ends.. controller does termination at one end and SCSI cable in non-hotplug environment at other end. Hot-plug termination is done by backplane at other end.

If you are using it as NON hotplug drive then SCSI ID setting is another thing to consider.. usually hard drive has sticker which explains the SCSI ID settings.

Thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I have tried Adaptec and LSI Logic controllers in HP Proliants. They did not function properly. HP much do something to prevent proper functioning.

You should be able to find a SCSI cage for that server to support 80 pin SCA drives.
NullN
Occasional Advisor

You mentioned "LSI Logic MegaRAID" above. Do you have it working on Proliant or a different server? I understand the LSI Logic is not working, but how about the MegaRAID version? If it does, do you mean I also need to get an LSI version of the cage, and it won't work with the current backplane?

@aftab "If you are using it as NON hotplug drive then SCSI ID setting is another thing to consider.. usually hard drive has sticker which explains the SCSI ID settings.", the adapter does appear to have SCSI ID setting. Also, the IBM hard drive also has the SCSI ID settings.
Ali
HPE Pro

Hi There,

You don't have change anything on the adapter. Adapters are configured with SCSI ID 7 which is given the highest priority on a SCSI Bus.

If you want to use IBM Harddrive as a boot drive set it up as SCSI ID "0". get any SCSI ribbon cable (options 1/3, 1/7, 1/4 cable) which has a terminator on it.

Now you can connect IBM hard drive to integrated SCSI controller and change the boot controller order in system BIOS if you want to boot from IBM hard drive connected to SCSI controller.

thanks,
Aftab
I work for HPE
Looking for a quick resolution to a technical issue for your HPE products? HPE Support Center Knowledge-base тАУ Just a Click Away!
See Self Help Post for more details

Accept or Kudo

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

The LSI Logic MegaRAID is in my home workstation I use for CAD/Photoshop. I have Proliant with an identical RAID controller. The drive cage does not matter on SCSI and SAS. Usually, they are given SCSI ID 11 and 13 for SCSI cages. Controllers are always 7. Don't change this. It can cause issues.

The CS-Electronics cables should work with your 80 pin drive. It is always better in a server to use a hot swap cage or enclosure. A cable is not hot swap.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

If you don't use a SCA enclosure, you need to set each SCSI drive ID by hand. I usually use 0-6 for hard drives, 8-15 for non-hard drive devices like tape devices, CD/DVD, etc. You should set ID 0 as your bootable hard drive. In RAID, it does not really matter which drive is ID 0. You just don't want any drive as 7.