1753265 Members
5703 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Ultrium 215e not being reconized

Caleb_3
Occasional Contributor

Ultrium 215e not being reconized

I have just purchased three new dl380's. I'm trying to connect a Ultrium 215e (the 3u rack mount model) to one of the servers. The one I am trying to connect it to, is configured with a full array of 6 drives, running server 2003.
In the device manager under SCSI Controllers I only see the SmartArray Controller 5i, shouldn't I be seeing just an onboard SCSI Controller as well, or are these controllers one in the same.
The HP Reseller I bought it from said he spoke with HP and they said I will be able to connect the tape drive to the onboard SCSI connection.
The 3u rack mount case come with the drive already installed from HP, and it looks to be terminated correctly, and I have the cable to connect the two togeather.
Is there something I need to Enable in the bios so this drive will be reconized or do I need to purchase an additional SCSI Controller?

PLEASE Let me know if you have any other ideas.
Thanks,
Caleb
4 REPLIES 4
Stephen Grimmer
Trusted Contributor

Are all 6 drives on channel A? If not you need to configure the storage for single channel operation so that the external port is availble for the tape drive.

FYI You can indeed connect the tape drive to the 5i.

-Stephen
Caleb_3
Occasional Contributor

I believe the array is connected to channel a on the 5i controller. I haven't changed it from when i got it from hp. the 6 drives are configed in a raid 5 config.
Is there someway i can check to make sure the array is connected to channel a, and the onboard connector is setup for channel b?
Thanks,
-Caleb
Caleb_3
Occasional Contributor

I did some looking, the array is connected to Port 2 on the motherboard, and only port 2. There is nothing connected to port 1.
Is there some configuration that needs to modified so the array is using "single channel operation" or if it's only connected to port 2 would it be using single channel operation?

Thanks,
Caleb
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Caleb,

If you look inside the top cover there is a label with all the simplex/duplex configuration information. Although unrelated, please be aware that your server would come with a small terminator inside one of the boxes for duplex operation. This fits to the SCSI backplane if you ever want to duplex so don't throw this away as it's not a standard type.

From what you have stated earlier the system is configured for simplex operation with all 6 drives seen on SCSI port 2, which is correct. You may simply need to run the HP Tape driver utility to load and locate the external unit although I would have expected the W2K3 device manager to have had an unknown device showing in this case. Please download and execute the following driver kit with the external drive attached and powered on. This should install the correct HP LTO driver for you.

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/storageworks/tape_drivers/

I hope this helps.

Brian