1751776 Members
4632 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Unable to acesss floppy disk after

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Unable to acesss floppy disk after

I have upgraded a proliant 1500 from p166 to ppro200 using new board & rom chips. All is ok, but now the floppy disk drive will not work. why?
5 REPLIES 5
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

The most liable reason for this is that the floppy cable ( data or power) is probably not seated properly due to all the work done in the server. make sure both ends of the data cable are well seated.
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi Mark. Thanks for your reply, but I think you guys at Compaq may have to look a little bit deeper than the 'check the cables' answer.
I have upgraded 4 of these servers from P166 to PPro200. ALL of the machines have the same fault. ALL the servers have good cables & are connected correctly. Can you find out what was in the PPro upgrade kit? was it a different cable? was it a different floppy drive? please advise. If one of the servers fails, there is no way of re installing Netware. Many thanks Steve
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Can you confirm the below please.
PAL chips in U300, U35, and U36
need to be carried over from the old system board to the new system board
in order for the p/200 processor to continue to work.
An item to add?
If U300 is a -002 then do not move the chip from the original I/O to the
replacement.
NOTE: the switch settings for the 200 mhz processor should be ON ON OFF ON.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi Mark, Yes the PAL chips are ok as the server will run ok, but I am unable to flash the system board, Array controller etc. I cant even boot onto a dos bootable disk. the problem I have is I am unable to read ANYTHING from the floppy disk drive. I can boot from a cd & I can boot into the operating system on the Hard disks, but the floppy disk drive is useless. I cant even format a blank disk from the dos prompt on the server. Can you tell me what else was in the PPro upgrade as well as the PPro chip, processor VRM, Processor board & PAL Chips. Was there a different floppy cable or floppy disk drive? I know this server is end of life as far as Compaq are concerned, bit I had to rebuild one of these boxes earlier in the year & the only way to do it was to put the P166 cpu board & old PAL chips back in. reconfigure the unit. install the OS. restore the data & then change the processor board & PAL chips, reconfigure the server & reboot. As you can tell, this solution is not ideal, so any help would be great. Cheers. Steve
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

E-mail me at Mark.Cloutier@HP.com
I have had no luck so far but I am still searching.